vacuum leak in dash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vacuum leak in dash

This is on the '89 CV. When the car is in gear there is a vacuum hiss in the dash. It goes away when I get on the gas. I'm assuming it's the parking brake release issue like others have had. I can't remember what the fix for this was. Plugging one of the vac lines under the dash, correct?

Does it start hissing when you put it in Drive?
    '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
    '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Yes.

Comment

That's the parking brake release then. I think there's a white T thing under there that you plug. It's been awhile, I'm not sure. SOMEONE here oughta know!
        '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
        '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

If your servo diaphragm holds vacuum and you like the auto release then replace the vacuum switch at the bottom of the steering column. If you do not care about the auto release and want a cheap fix then remove the switch and the hose conecting it to the vacuum servo, and plug the other hose and zip-tie it so it doesn't just hang there.

Comment

What he said. Valve is a white half-moon shaped thingy attached to the top side of the steering column all the way against the firewall. Should be a hard black plastic line. Mine had a one-way valve that I was able to simply spin around and use to block the thing.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Cool. Thanks, guys.

Comment

Done and done. Unhooked both lines and plugged the black one. No more annoying hiss. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
                X