Mac Mini in my car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mac Mini in my car

Well me and my brother had a crazy idea the other day to buy a mac mini from apple and put ti in my car as a head unit than buy a 7.1 surrond sound for the car from creative i thought it threw and it would cost me the same to put a comptuer and head unit in so i m going this way my plan is to put 4 tvs in i have monitor form a laptop that i m putting in than two 7" from jwhitney with sunvisopr tvs and than one 5.6 so i can contro lthe muisic and crape like that whilke driving the car and than have the 7.1 surrond system its gunna kick ass mac mini comes with a remoter so i can control it cany way i cant wait like have like a big ipod/computeri nthe car :coolshades: tell me wat ya think
    sigpic
    1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

a word of caution from a computer geek

That's a sweet idea - we use a Mac Mini at my company, and it's pretty hot, I must admit - a word of caution though: The main reason Mac Minis can run without the large cooling fans typical of standard desktops is that the sides and front of the unit are made of aluminum - basically, the entire chassis is a giant heatsink to divert the heat away from critical components. Installing it in the dashboard of a car as a head unit would 1)Cram it into some sort of trim ring, which would trap heat inside instead of letting it vent properly and 2) Put it dangerously close to the vents which blow hot air (notice how when you have the heat on, the front of your car sometimes feels warm to the touch). You'd have to come up with a very creative cooling system to prevent the computer from overheating and shutting down, or even damaging system components
    89 Grand Marquis LS with 107K miles (as of 1/13/07). As proof of my undying love, I've invested:
    - New exhaust
    - Front brakes
    - Rebuilt tranny
    - New vinyl top
    - Alternator & Battery
    - And still going.

Comment

Mac Mini in my car

:rambo: !Heeeeyyyy Mangs ! I have a Mac too is model 10 and fires 1100 rounds per minute in full auto.

ATT, SNIPER 308. MASTER OF DARKNESS KINGDOM
      MERC75-INTERCEPTOR, BORN IN 2003,DIED IN SEP/21/2010 AT 9:55AM AT THE SORT AHE OF 8 YEARS PROTECTING HIS OWNER TO DIE

Comment

Originally posted by sniper308
        :rambo: !Heeeeyyyy Mangs ! I have a Mac too is model 10 and fires 1100 rounds per minute in full auto.

ATT, SNIPER 308. MASTER OF DARKNESS KINGDOM
        The computer, not the gun!
        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

:smirk: !UPS! SORRY MANG i WILL HIDE MY MAC-10 UNDER THE SEAT AGAIN, LATER MANG.

ATT,SNIPER 308. "!NO! I AM YOUR PANTHER." The Empire Strikes Back.
          MERC75-INTERCEPTOR, BORN IN 2003,DIED IN SEP/21/2010 AT 9:55AM AT THE SORT AHE OF 8 YEARS PROTECTING HIS OWNER TO DIE

Comment

Working...
          X