Back end of the car squeeks as I drive, WTF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back end of the car squeeks as I drive, WTF

Just noticed that as I'm driving I can hear a loud squeeking noise from the back of the car. And it's not just when the suspension flexes either. i was at a drivethrough on a straight , level surface and it was squeeking. Any ideas?
    Save a seal, club a liberal.

Do you have those damn full covers?
    '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
    '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Nope, I'm running bare steelies right now.

Comment

U joints in really horrible shape will squeak as you drive, or maybe one of the brake backing plates is bent and rubbing on the drum. Hard to say.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'll check the backing plates. If it's the u-joints, I'm gonna swap driveshafts between G.O. and the '90. The '90 had new u-joints about a year or two before I bought it according to the receipts I found in the car.

Comment

My merk's rear will squeak when I hit a bump, I think the 4 bar bushings are the culprit. But since you are driving on a flat level surface, I dont know.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
            My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

My mechanic checked the backing plates and the u-joints when he did the back brake lines, and everything checked good. This is baffling me.

Comment

Mine does the same thing... sort of a groaning noise when i am stopped, or nearly stopped... I can let off of the brakes.. creep forward, and touch the brake pedal, and it groans... Maybe the brake hardware in the drums are needing some brake grease on the pivot points... I was also thinking rear swing arm bushings.... Or maybe body mounts... I noticed mine are really in bad shape last time I had the car up on a lift... got to get those changed this summer... Tom....

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
                Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

there can only be 2 possibilities, U-joints(and no not that kinda joint, lol) or axle berings, but it soundes like the rear U-joint, thus making a repetitive squeek or binding metal sound, replaced a few on our boxes. in the U-joints, one bearing will loose its grease and start to rust and break down causing the squeek.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                  1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                  1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                  2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                  2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Before you swap driveshafts, make sure they're the same first. I know tow package cars got a bigger driveshaft and pinion flange than non-tow cars. Not sure if the police models also got the heavier driveshaft or not. If those U joints are greasable, pump them up even if they are shot. If the noise stops, you'll know thats the problem. Is it a rhythmic squeak that changes with speed or is it a more random noise? If its random, it could be almost anything from trim squeaking around, missing plastic "collars" on the door strikers, rubber bumpers on the trunk or hood not adjusted right, or a zillion other things.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                    X