Panther/3 on a tree project ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panther/3 on a tree project ;)

I'm gonna attempt this. Once I can find a crown vic, or a grand marquis, I'm gonna look around for a 3 speed and the linkages to make it work. I know ford used 3 on a tree up into the early 60's. If I could find a 3 speed that is bolted to a 289, will a bellhousing from a 289 bolt up to a 302? It should, shouldn't it? I also know from experience with older trucks and shit, that the 3 speed trans is gonna be a hell of a lot shorter than an AOD, so I would probably have to have a custom driveline made for it too.

I'm intrigued by this project, and I want to do it.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd like to hear them.
    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Here's the first step!!
    I drove a 70's Ford PU with 3 on the tree...but all you need is...
    http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...1921&langId=-1
    2000 Grand Marquis LS
    2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
    1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
    Mercury Owners Group member
    Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

Actually a bellhousing off of a 300 straight 6cyl will bolt right up. You will of course have to use a truck flex plate (164 teeth?) for a 302 and the truck starter. Both are pretty cheap though.

If you werent so danged far away I have one still bolted to a 1960 250something straight six that might work. If you are ever going to be down this way, it's yours.
      Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
      AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
      Open/Lock/Ratio #
      -----------------------
      G / H / 2.26
      B / C / 2.47
      8 / M / 2.73
      7 / - / 3.07
      Y / Z / 3.08
      4 / D / 3.42
      F / R / 3.45
      5 / E / 3.27
      6 / W / 3.73
      2 / K / 3.55
      A / - / 3.63
      J / - / 3.85

Comment

3 on the tree is a GREAT idea. Also it seems realistic that it might have been made like that but it wasn't.
        2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

Ford had the 3 on the tree right up thru 83 or 84 in trucks and vans.

It seems like a lot of work to end up with a 3 spd. The hard part won't be the transmission swap. The hard part will be the column with the correct shift hardware. That Ididit column is for an auto trans which won't work on a 3spd manual. The GM/CV column is completely different from the truck and van columns. So it might take a lot of fab work.

a 289 bellhousing will work if it's a 66 or later 289. if it's 65 or older it will have a 5 bolt bellhousing which is different from the rest of the SBF 6 bolt bellhousings.

But if you need parts I've got two 3spd transmissions(one short tailshaft one long ) and a pile of bellhousings(both cast iron and aluminum ).
          Last edited by Fordman75; 03-16-2006, 03:12 PM.

Comment

What is with this fascination that people here have with going back in time in terms of technology?

Comment

Probably the same reason all these people like these old ass cars we be driving!

Back in the day you actually had to drive a car it didn't have all these fancy doo dads.

Comment

I just think it would be a sick conversion. Does anyone know if this has been done before on a panther?

Thanks for the offer on parts and stuff, I may take you guys up on it lol

I've got the chops to do this, I'm a pretty decent welder and I like fabricating. I think it can be done, it will probably be extremely difficult, but doable.
                Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

I love the idea!

Ive always wanted to drive a three on the tree just for the novelty of it, just to have something different. Plus any manual trans box is rare enough as it is.
                  -Matt
                  1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

Four on the tree. It did exist, tho not terribly common.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

PRobably hes doing it cause his damned AOD is abbout to shit teh bed!
                      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I thought about it...but I'd never attempt it lol.
                        '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                        '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Once you get into the thick of it, you'll get pissed off at the car and yourself for even thinking it could work. While it would be a cool project, i think it would b q waste of your time and hard earned money do attempt it

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                          '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                          '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

I'd just go floor shift with a nice tall truck shifter so you've got the RatFink shifter look. Don't forget the skull shift knob!! Talk about cooool.

Comment

Im with justin, while I'd like to see it done, it might be wiser to wait until you have another car cause you wont be driving it while you work on it with that mod.
                              Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Working...
                              X