Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Floor mats (long)

Dear Fellow Whalers,
    Five years ago I bought my 1989 Colony Park because (a) it was cheap and (b) I needed a reliable vehicle to transport myself and three or four crated dogs to sheepdog trials. I put 20-25k a year on the “Boulevard Cruiser”. Some of the trips are only three or four hours, many are fourteen and occasionally a codriver and myself go 24 hours on the road, stopping only for gas.

There’s some very nice things about the Cruiser. It’s as big as anything on the road and roomier than most. It’ll cruise all day at 5mph over the limit, whatever the limit. It gets 21-23 mpg on the Interstate.

There’s some bad things too. None of the rubber was intended to last fifteen years and some wiring was flatout inadequate. Scott winced when he saw the rubber in my engine compartment. The original alternator’s a fire hazard and - without modifications (even with the modifactions I’ve made (tires, sway bar, shocks, police toe in and camber) the Cruiser handles like a boat.

But partly rebuilt it is as good for what I need as a Volvo V90, Mercedes wagon, Excursion or Suburban (and it’ll carry more dogs than the Volvo or Merc). The Cruiser cost me $2500 - less than tenth of the competition and I expect I’ve spent -total - $6000 rebuilding and repainting it. Which still comes in at about a third of a comparably equipped Suburban. (Of course at resale, the Suburban buyer can get some of his money back. When I sell the cruiser it’ll go for $500 to fruitpickers or the demoliton derby.)

You’ve probably done overnight road trips with codrivers so I don’t need to tell you its halucinagenic: endless road, endless headlights, bad coffee, droning motor, center line, swinging from groginess to sudden alert.

At night when I’m in the passenger seat, the Cruiser reminds me of the few first class overnight flights I’ve taken to Europe and Australia. Big tilt back seat, pillow, snacks in the cooler, Blauplunkt playing MP-3’s, the GPS progress line glowing on the dash. Radar detector on. The only thing missing is the stewardess with free booze. And next gas stop I get to fly this big plane.

This is a long away around to say I’ve found something to improve that experience. Lloyd floor mats are bigger then the originals and deeper than the originals. I’m off to Texas tomorrow night. When I’m not driving, I’ll kick off my shoes before I snooze.
    Donald McCaig

get a 96 caprice wagon

Comment

Lloyd floor mats are bigger then the originals and deeper than the originals. I’m off to Texas tomorrow night. When I’m not driving, I’ll kick off my shoes before I snooze.
      Must be some nice floormats. LOL!
      Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
      AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
      Open/Lock/Ratio #
      -----------------------
      G / H / 2.26
      B / C / 2.47
      8 / M / 2.73
      7 / - / 3.07
      Y / Z / 3.08
      4 / D / 3.42
      F / R / 3.45
      5 / E / 3.27
      6 / W / 3.73
      2 / K / 3.55
      A / - / 3.63
      J / - / 3.85

Comment

Good to hear!

Yeah scott will make your nice box even nicer
        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Working...
        X