TIRE INFLATION RATE ¿WHY THE HELL.... ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TIRE INFLATION RATE ¿WHY THE HELL.... ?

:confused: !OK MANGS! HERE THE NEW DOUBT, ¿ WHY THE HELL NO MATTER THE WIDTH,TALL ETC. THE INFLATION RATE IS 35PSI ? AND I'M MORE CONFUSED IN THE LABEL IN THE CAR STATES THAT THE MAX TIRE PRESSURE IS 35 PSI BUT MY HANKOOK TIRES SPECIFY THAT THE MAX RATE PRESSURE IS 44 LBS/PSI OR KPA PLEASE GET ME OUT THIS DOUBT. :hairrais:

ATT, SNIPER 308. DARK CHANCELOR OF THE DARKSIDE
    MERC75-INTERCEPTOR, BORN IN 2003,DIED IN SEP/21/2010 AT 9:55AM AT THE SORT AHE OF 8 YEARS PROTECTING HIS OWNER TO DIE

The car door sticker/owners manual tire pressure is for tires that the car was originally equipped with. If you put on different tires, use the max pressure listed on the tire sidewall as your inflation guide.

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
    '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
    '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

with the 235/50R16s on my 97 at 35psi everyone tells me to put air in them because they are flat. I try to keep 40psi in them but they bleed down to 35-36 within a few weeks.
      http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
      http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

I got the same problem with my fron 215/70 Explorers, sidewall says 35psi and I run them at 36 all the time, but they still look flat - every time I'm about to drive I do a quick check to make sure they are not idneed flat.

Comment

Don't feel alone out there guy. Many people think 35 is the magic number. It is a very common one, but it is in no way universal. I recently noticed a coworker complaining about his company truck wandering really bad after they put new tires on it. We checked and they only put 35psi in a heavy duty tire rated for 80psi max on the sidewall. A few minutes with an air compressor, the truck tracks like new and he thinks I am a genius. Keep in mind though this is a heavily loaded truck.

If you have tires that look flat all the time when properly inflated you may want to consider getting something with a slightly higher load rating the next time you buy tires.

Just to clarify before you read the post below. I am not saying your tires need to be inflated to the maximum pressure all the time. If you happened to have a 80psi rated tire though, it WILL perform lousy on less than half of that.
          Last edited by GoodSamaritan; 03-22-2006, 03:20 PM.
          Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
          AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
          Open/Lock/Ratio #
          -----------------------
          G / H / 2.26
          B / C / 2.47
          8 / M / 2.73
          7 / - / 3.07
          Y / Z / 3.08
          4 / D / 3.42
          F / R / 3.45
          5 / E / 3.27
          6 / W / 3.73
          2 / K / 3.55
          A / - / 3.63
          J / - / 3.85

Comment

WTF? NO!!NO!NO!NO!NO! MAX is MAXIMUM pressure the tire can safely handle. It has NOTHING TO DO with the recommended pressure on the door other than the fact that the tire should have a maximum over or equal to the recommended pressure. If you are not sure ALWAYS GO BY THE VEHICLE MANUFACTUERS RECOMMENDED PRESSURE!

If you go with a different size tire and/or wheel combo, the best thing to do is inflate it to the recommended pressure and put a chalk mark across the tires tread. Drive the car forward a few feet and look at the contact patch, adjust pressure to give the biggest contact patch.

I fucking hate it when the dumbass ricers come in with their 17's on the hondas with rubber band tires on then and want 50PSI in them. IDIOTS!
            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

MR LTD is right - the MAX pressure written on the tire is only that - the max pressure *when at maximum load*

It is NEVER what that tire pressure needs to be on any particular vehicle.

good sam, you need to get that 80 pounds of air out of that guys tire before he hits something and blaows out.
              Yes, large trucks that carry heavy shit do need more air. but if you look at the sticker, you will se that it gives pressures for loaded and unlaoded, and are usually between 45 and 60 pounds.

Ive said it a million times but here goes again -
              An OEM size tire needs the air pressure stated on its sticker. The same size and brand tire can need a different air pressure on a different car.
              If you dont have an oem size tire, you have to adjust accordingly with a method like mrLTD suggested.

NEVER EVER run the MAX inflation pressure of a tire unless you happen to also be at its MAX load capacity.
              You would think people would see the MAX before the inflation value on the tire and not assume that that is the absolute operating pressure for that tire regardless of all other factors, but they do.
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

THANK YOU MANGS FOR THE QUICKER RESPOND,ADVICES AND CLEARING OUT THIS FUCKING DOUBT THAT I HAVE FOR A LOOOOOOOOONG TIME.

ATT, SNIPER 308. MANG OF THE WEEK.
                MERC75-INTERCEPTOR, BORN IN 2003,DIED IN SEP/21/2010 AT 9:55AM AT THE SORT AHE OF 8 YEARS PROTECTING HIS OWNER TO DIE

Comment

No offense, but where in my post did I say I wen't all the way to 80psi? Did either of you even bother to read my post, or even the disclaimer I added at the end?

What I said, was they were 80psi max truck tires, only inflated to around 35psi in a truck that runs near it's rated load all the time. They are not going to handle properly at 35psi.
                  We keep these trucks about as full of inventory as we can keep them. Before we increased the pressure, it was wandering all over the place and was difficult to control at times. I suppose you are going to tell me that is normal? I have seen more than one under inflated tire where the bead let loose in a hard turn. (i.e. panic maneuver, off ramp, etc.) Needless to say in a heavily loaded, top heavy truck that is a disaster waiting to happen.

I also said that if you have tires that look flat all the time despite being over inflated as some earlier posts mentioned, I suggested they might want to see whether a higher load range tire is needed the next time you buy. I have seen people end up with passenger car tires on a 1 ton truck before. If you don't know what you have, double check. Is that such bad advice?

Oh and for the record, we ended up with 55 up front, and 70 in the rear.
                  Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
                  AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
                  Open/Lock/Ratio #
                  -----------------------
                  G / H / 2.26
                  B / C / 2.47
                  8 / M / 2.73
                  7 / - / 3.07
                  Y / Z / 3.08
                  4 / D / 3.42
                  F / R / 3.45
                  5 / E / 3.27
                  6 / W / 3.73
                  2 / K / 3.55
                  A / - / 3.63
                  J / - / 3.85

Comment

ok good!

the 1st half of the post made me thing you put them both up to 80, becuase it didnt say otherwise. I guess I just skimmed the 2nd part
                    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I wasn't directing anything towards you Bryan....I was more yelling at phazer for the max pressure thing....(that's a big peeve of mine)

With trucks and hauling, it is different, usually you do want them maxed, and usually the door specifies 70-80 psi on the rears. I know a lot of applications that call for 35-50 in the fronts though, and 70-80 rear. (just like the 55/70 you are running )

I used to get all kinds of dumbass ricers and rednecks that bought cheap lower rated tires or the rubber bands and asked for all kinds of stupid stuff. The ricers wanted the tires taken to the MAX and the rednecks wanted 80psi in the lower load rating tires that had a 45 or 50 psi max.....

Comment

My car's sticker says 32 in the front and 35 for the rears. But it rides harsh with the rears at 35 so I keep em at 32 as well. Of course, the harsh ride in the rear is also caused by the IASs I have back there.
                        1995 Grand Marquis LS, digi dash, loaded
                        124,000 miles

Mods:99 PI steering gear, harsh rear IAS shocks, front KYB gas adjusts, HPP rims with Bridgestone Potenza G009's, Walker dual exhaust with direct fit Magnaflow cats

Comment

The thing you have to remember is the tire psi on the door is set to give optimum ride with the factory tires, on factory rims. with no mods to the car.Once you move away from factory stuff then you have to look at what the tire maker suggests.We get it all the time...We set psi according to the makers specs for application..Customer comes back in and wants set at what the car says...Then they come back aweek later and complain about the ride.Then we reset the psi to what it should be ...you get the picture...Just FYI if you do not know factory tires off the assembly line are only rated for 30k...Thats why you have such ahard time getting the dealer to warranty wear issues....Oh Yeah just wait till you get to deal with TPMS ...All new cars have to have in 07....I am training my staff for them now soooo much fun......
                          President He Man Woman Haters Club

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,But rather skid in broadside,Thourghly used up totaly worn out & loudly proclaiming...WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!

http://www.myspace.com/dabearsplace

Comment

TPMS?

**edit* yay google. http://www.conti-online.com/generato...y_tpms_en.html

Personally I think this is a great idea for most people, considering nobody checks thier tire pressure. I was in Chicago and pointed out to my friend's roomate that his tire was damn near flat. He said he didn't care, or something to that effect. The next day he comes home and says "hey, i found out what that squealing was whenenver I took an offramp. The back tire had like 5psi in it". Duh.
                            Last edited by gadget73; 04-04-2006, 11:53 PM.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yep,. people are dumbasses when it comes to simple safety and car maintenance.

Comment

Working...
                              X