Differene in engine question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Differene in engine question.

What are the differences between a 2v 4.6 and the 3-v?
    2008 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Bone Stock

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

I think just the heads. The 3v has two intake valves, a single exhaust valve, and a single cam. The 2v has one intake, one exhaust, and a single cam. Not sure the power differences but the 3v should flow better and make more power.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

different heads and intake manifold. the 3v heads have 2 intake valves and 1 exhaust valve, operated by a single cam.
      2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2336322

Friends don't let friends drive donk.

Comment

3 valve engines also have variable cam positioning, same thing as Honda's VTECH.

Comment

Still have poly intake?
          Read Poly=PLASTIC!!!

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

Comment

The plastic intake isn't the problem, its the water passage in said plastic intake thats an issue. They changed that at some point on the 2v engine by putting an aluminum water passage in there. I'm guessing Ford wasn't stupid enough to repeat that problem with the 3v engine as it caused a bigass class action suit on the 2v motor. The plastic is actually good for weight reduction, and keeping the air charge cool since it won't conduct the heat away from the heads and pre-heat the air before it enters the cylinder.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The 3-v motor in the new stangs is rated at just about 300hp. And the 3-v intake looks suspiscilly like a LS1 intake.
              http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
              http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Originally posted by DuceAnAHalf
                And the 3-v intake looks suspiscilly like a LS1 intake.
                Yes it does now that you mention it.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                  X