2dr wagon or sedan delivery??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been doing some thinking I remember the kick ass 2dr ranchwagons Ford made in the mid to late 50's. Not to mention the even cooler sedan deliveries!

Now if there was a guy that was good at sheetmetal work he could combine a 2dr body shell with a wagon rear body clip. I know cutting up a 2dr would be bad but if it's rotted out or hit in the rear, what the hell!

The way I see it working is you'd use the 2dr shell back to the front of the rear wheel well. Then graft on the wagon rear clip from the front or the rear wheel well back. Then basically extend the wagons 1/4 window into the 2dr's rear 1/4 window. It would take custom 1/4 windows or weld in sheetmetal to make it a sedan delivery.

Done right it would look simply awesome. You'd have a one of a kind Panther that would have the Panther fans scratching their heads and drooling. Plus it would make a cool parts hauler! It would be even cooler then a hearse!!

No I don't plan to try this with mine. I don't have the room or a shop to do it in. I'm paying almost $150 a month to store mine the way it is.:nonono:

So lets hear some opinions. Would this be cool or not?

What you need to do, is make a 2-door hatch back Vic. It would be better for earodynamics and weight distribution without just going sky high in overall weight. Like so.....

Last edited by Blaze86Vic; 03-26-2006, 08:14 AM.

Comment

I gave this some thought to, but immediately decided that I have nowhere near the skills to pull it off.

I figured on hanging the longer doors on the stock wagon body and cutting out the b pillar. Fill in and smoothe the holes. Put on the 2 door sill plate, etc, and then take the b pillar with accompanying sheet metal out of the 2 door body. position it just so, and graft it into place. When you were done you would still have a sizable gap between the b pillar and the c pillar, on a 4 door car. A lot of it could be coverd by cutting up a rear door and skinning the area. Here is where it gets complicated. Wagon rear doors are different. The crease in the door is at a different height for one thing. All in all it would still be a very involved project.

Other differences include the roof. If you will notice wagons have an inch and change of roof above the windshield, a sedan isn't nearly that tall.

It could be done, but it would be time consuming and expensive, if you wan't it to look right.

As for a 4 door sedan delivery, it wouldn't be too bad. My suggestion would be to leave the window in place, and just remove the trim. Clean everything up really well and use closed cell expanding foam around the edges. It might be a bit tricky but the goal would be to eventually cover the whole window with foam to a depth that allows you to carve it back down to smooth the body out, with a minimum of body filler.

Once done with that, I would suggest, covering the whole thing with an aircraft skin called Dacron. It goes on similar to fiberglass, but you only attach the outside edges at first then heat shrink it to fit, so it becomes very smooth. Then you can seal, and paint the whole thing. Of course you have to use a special primer and a uv protectant coat, but after that, anything goes.

On the inside, just glue headliner material straight to the glass.

I had a hearse that was done this way on the inside. Unfortunately there was just a big piece of metal riveted over the window on the outside, which looked like crap when the vinyl top came off.
      Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
      AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
      Open/Lock/Ratio #
      -----------------------
      G / H / 2.26
      B / C / 2.47
      8 / M / 2.73
      7 / - / 3.07
      Y / Z / 3.08
      4 / D / 3.42
      F / R / 3.45
      5 / E / 3.27
      6 / W / 3.73
      2 / K / 3.55
      A / - / 3.63
      J / - / 3.85

Comment

Sorry Blaze but that reminds me of the chevy citataion hatchback.:nonono:

The whole point of doing this for me would be to get rid of the 4drs. And trying to use the whole wagon body is way to much work and you'd never get the doors to look right. By using the front 3/4's of the 2dr shell you get doors with the complete jambs.

The roof is easy just cut the whole wagon roof out with the rear clip. Slice it right above the rain gutters and just above the windshield.

Comment

Yeah, also not digging the slope back thing, especially on a four door. It reminds me a bit of the bubble window Monte Carlo SS from the 80s, and I thought those were dreadfully ugly.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Reminds me of a Pinto for some reason
            Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
            Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

I like the sope back idea, but save it for a coupe. also, have the rear window end up about a foot forward, and have some sort of decklid behind it.
              Nick
              88 Colony Park LS
              G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
              Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

Talk about Hi-jacking my thread!! :nonono: :nonono:

Comment

Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                  Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic
                    What you need to do, is make a 2-door hatch back Vic. It would be better for earodynamics and weight distribution without just going sky high in overall weight. Like so.....

:barf3:

Comment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been doing some thinking I remember the kick ass 2dr ranchwagons Ford made in the mid to late 50's. Not to mention the even cooler sedan deliveries!

Now if there was a guy that was good at sheetmetal work he could combine a 2dr body shell with a wagon rear body clip. I know cutting up a 2dr would be bad but if it's rotted out or hit in the rear, what the hell!

The way I see it working is you'd use the 2dr shell back to the front of the rear wheel well. Then graft on the wagon rear clip from the front or the rear wheel well back. Then basically extend the wagons 1/4 window into the 2dr's rear 1/4 window. It would take custom 1/4 windows or weld in sheetmetal to make it a sedan delivery.

Done right it would look simply awesome. You'd have a one of a kind Panther that would have the Panther fans scratching their heads and drooling. Plus it would make a cool parts hauler! It would be even cooler then a hearse!!

No I don't plan to try this with mine. I don't have the room or a shop to do it in. I'm paying almost $150 a month to store mine the way it is.

So lets hear some opinions. Would this be cool or not?

Comment

Would you like the off topic posts removed from your thread? lol
                        '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                        '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Maybe Chip Foose could do one on "Overhaulin"?
                          Former Box wagon tinkerer, had 3 GM CP's

Comment

Working...
                          X