Speaker and sound system advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaker and sound system advice

My stereo system sounds like shit now, probably since im running the stock front speakers along with two Pioneer 230 watt 6x9s into a Pioneer DEH-3700MP all on the stock 20 year old wiring. Too much treble, little bass, and their is a noticeable amount of distortion. I don't have premium sound but I do have wiring for door speakers.

Is it worth replacing the stock front speakers or going with a set of 6.5 inch speakers in the doors? I've replaced in dash speakers before and it wasn't worth it in other cars. I know 6.5's sound great, the stock ones in my friends 05 F150 sound awesome for a basic sound system.

The sound quality im looking for is the same as an 05 F150 or better, lots of bass and a decent amount of treble.
    Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
    2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:
    Father's 1994 Ford Crown Victoria - Stock, 45,000 miles.
    Sold in 2007 - 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Grandpa Special" 2 door.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2128327

6.5 door speakers are worth it, but the hole in the door is only 5-1/4". I made a wooden adapter for mine. I would HIGHLY recommend getting a 6.5" component system. The sound clarity is much higher than 2 or 3 way speakers.

Here are the pics of my speaker install, a set of 6.5" Cadence component system speakers.

Run all new wires!!!!! Run all the signal wires on the opposite side of the power wires.

Comment

replace the door speakers, the dash speakers, run 2 sets in the rear, buy some subwoofers, or at least a single 12" with like 300 watts, use the sub for bass, and the speakers for all your high and mid, ive got 8 speakers, 4 tweeters, 2 12" subs and a 1200 watt amp in my car, and i can set off car alarms and make you feel like your in the front row of a concert and with the laptop hooked into the headunit, surround sound movies are incredible, i/m me with any questions, my screename is in my profile...
      jay--1983 towncar, 302v8 cfi, dual straight pipes w/resonators ,edelbrock motor goodies, custom interior, full custom stereo system, full rebuilt trunk audio setup, custom paint...more to come......

Comment

Im sticking with the Pioneer 4 way 6x9s I have in the rear deck lid since they are only a few months old along with the stock dash speakers for now. I plan on upgrading the rest of the sound system later when funds will allow it, maybe with 2 JBL's, infinity 4 ways in the dash, a good amp, and some other goodies.

Blaze: Those 6.5 component speakers look sweet, were they hard to install? In the other post, did you disconnect the dash speakers? I think I might do that since I'm only going to run the stock speakers in the dash for now.
        Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
        2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:

Comment

part of the reason it sounds like crap now is becuase you are running aftermarket and stock speakers together - you need to trash the stock ones altogether. Gor for the front component set and new wiring.
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

fade the stereo from front to back or adjust the balance from left to right. while doing this if you notice you get more bass then your speakers wired out of phase. or in english, you have your positive and negative speaker terminals backwards on one or more speakers

Comment

Fading the speakers to the rear helped out alot, it has good bass response and doesn't distort unless the volume is turned up very high (50+). I also put in new ground wires in the engine bay and grounded the radio better also. Grounding the car better also made the speakers sound more clear also.

I'm debating on whether to put in a component system or not. Some of the component systems I've seen cost as much or more than a good subwoofer/amp system alone. If I don't really need a subwoofer for good bass response, then I might just put those in instead. If not, I might go with a cheap set of dash or door speakers and put subs in if it is more cost effective.

I don't know how subs sound in these cars with the sound insulation, but there is plenty of room for them.

Associated Panthers:

Comment

Originally posted by 87mefull
                Fading the speakers to the rear helped out a lot, it has good bass response and doesn't distort unless the volume is turned up very high (50+).
                that means you installed your rear speakers backwards. If you reverse your negatives and positives on both rear speakers you will get the same bass with the fader balanced...

Comment

subs are louder depending on the wattage of your amp and such, a 200 watt amp powering a single 8" sub will give you a little bass, but not much, where as 2 12" subs and a 1000 watt amp will rattle your teeth, try digital audio for speakers, its a newer brand but the sound is good and the price is decent, i used their 6.5's in my doors and its a nice clean loud speaker and only cost 45 bux for the pair, and they make all sizes and subs as well, when in doubt, walmart mang...i started with 2 8" subs n a box from walmart with a 300 watt amp and it was loud enough to sound decent, but then i got overboard and now, well....8 speakers 2 subs and a total of almost 3000 watts and enough wiring to line a 5 mile street....
                  jay--1983 towncar, 302v8 cfi, dual straight pipes w/resonators ,edelbrock motor goodies, custom interior, full custom stereo system, full rebuilt trunk audio setup, custom paint...more to come......

Comment

Originally posted by 87mefull
                    If I don't really need a subwoofer for good bass response, then I might just put those in instead.

You NEED subs for good bass response... 6.5" can NOT pysically reproduce the lower frequencies of music... you need at least 10" subs for a full range of response.
                    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by Chachi
                      that means you installed your rear speakers backwards. If you reverse your negatives and positives on both rear speakers you will get the same bass with the fader balanced...
                      I guessed that, I wired the 6x9s in a rush and it does the opposite if I balance the fader out (front speakers sound better with better bass). I'm going to rip out all the stock wiring over my next school break and run some wiring for subs in the trunk.

Going with a cheap set of 6.5's sounds like a good idea, I'll just disable the stock dash speakers if I have to.

Associated Panthers:

Comment

Working...
                      X