Fast blinking turn signals....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fast blinking turn signals....

A friend of mines car is doing this... any ideas???

fast blinking turn signals. Here's the deal, 02 PI, turn signals blink normal most of the time. I noticed they blink much faster when the heater/AC fan is turned on.

How do I make this stop?
    All the lights are working, no change to the flasher unit or anything... just started blinking faster... thought maybe someone had the same thing happen and found a cure....

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Never mind---- found a TSB from Ford on the problem....

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…

Comment

Did he check the blinker fluid reservoir.? Maybe it was getting low.?
      1987 Country Squire LX Wagon 5.0L: Daily Ride......1964 Lincoln Continental 430ci: Toy #1.
      1984 F-250 4x4 4.9L: Toy #2.............................1968 Volkswagen Bug 2.0L: Toy #3.
      1989 F-250 4x4 5.8L: Emergency backup and work truck...

Comment

I swapped the flasher from Shifty to Grey October. G.O. had a really fast blink speed and it drove me bonkers.
        Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

I like the fast blinking my '88 has...

Scott needs some blinker fluid or somethin in his Townie...that thing takes like a minute to blink. lol
          '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
          '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Found this about the problem.... not the fluid reservoir THIS time......

What is happening is the turn signal circuit is getting to low voltage when the A/C fan is on.......... (From what I can tell, they are on the same circuit ) The TSB moves the turn signals to another circuit.... Tom...

Article No. 01-21-3 (ELECTRICAL - LAMP - INTERMITTENT RAPID FLASHING OF THE TURN SIGNALS)

Publication Date: OCTOBER 12, 2001

FORD: 1998-2002 CROWN VICTORIA
            MERCURY: 1998-2002 GRAND MARQUIS

ISSUE:
            Some vehicles may exhibit an intermittent rapid flashing of the turn signals. This may be caused by bulb outage, circuit ground or circuit integrity.

ACTION:
            Ensure the turn signal fast flash is not due to bulb outage then verify good continuity at all ground screws. If condition is not resolved, rewire the turn signal circuit. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

For 2001 and later vehicles, the turn signal circuit is isolated on new fuse #12 in the instrument panel fuse panel.
            For 2000 and prior vehicles, the turn signal circuit is moved to fuse #15 in the instrument panel fuse panel.

Ensure ignition key is in off position.
            Remove plastic knee bolster beneath driver's side of instrument panel.
            Remove five screws securing steel bolster at base of steering column.
            Remove two screws securing cross-brace.
            Remove left hand plastic kick panel.
            Remove two screws securing fuse panel w/ bracket.
            Remove fuse panel cover.
            Remove christmas tree locator off bracket.
            Cut tape on top of convolute on the left side of the steering column.
            Locate circuit 298 Violet/Orange wire from inside of convolute.
            Cut circuit 298 Violet/Orange wire 4" from bottom of steering column shroud.
            Shrink wrap bottom portion of wire and tuck back into harness bundle.
            Rotate fuse panel down to expose rear fuse panel.
            Cut a 600mm (24") length of 16 gauge insulated wire to use as a jumper wire.

2001 MY and later wire repair:
            Splice pigtail with terminal F2DB-14474-CA (from wiring repair kit #3, see TSB 01-10-12 for ordering information) to one end of the jumper wire using procedure in TSB 01-10-12 (if in doubt, compare terminal on pigtail to terminals on other wires at fuse panel).
            Raise red fuse key to the same height as fuse to allow for terminal installation.
            Insert terminal of jumper wire into #12 fuse slot until it clicks.
            Pull lightly to ensure secure fit.
            2000 MY and prior wire repair:
            Locate circuit 88 Black/White wire located in fuse cavity #15.
            Splice jumper wire to fuse 15 wire using procedure in TSB 01-10-12.
            Keep new wire outside of convolute.
            Starting at fuse panel, spot tape new wire to convolute in four or five places (leave enough wire at column end to splice in to existing circuit).
            Cut jumper wire to length at column.
            Splice jumper wire to column wire using procedure in TSB 01-10-12.
            Spot tap crimp to harness, making sure that new wire is not exposed to any sharp edges.
            Insert new 15A fuse in #12 slot.
            Test turn signals.
            Replace fuse panel cover.
            Re-assemble vehicle in reverse order of disassembly.
            Torque I.P. fuse bracket to 4.8 ± 0.8 N-m (42 ± 7 lb-in.).
            Torque I.P. shipping brake 9 ± 1.4 N-m (80 ± 12 lb-in.).
            Torque screws on steering column reinforcement to 4.8 ± 0.8 N-m (42 ± 7 lb-in.).
            Torque park brake release to 4.35 ± 0.85 N-m (38 ± 7 lb-in.).
            Torque knee bolster trim screws to 2.5 ± 0.4 N-m (22 ± 4 lb-in.).
            OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:

01-10-12

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

Operation
            Description
            Time

012103A
            Rewire Turn Signal Circuit Following Service Procedure
            0.9 Hr.

DEALER CODING

Basic Part Number
            Condition Code

OASIS CODES:

201000, 201200, 203000, 203200

Comment

mine blink like a normal car with the elctronic flashers
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

you can read more about that problem and a somewhat better fix on Matt's site.

http://www.p71interceptor.com/powerdistrofix/

Comment

Working...
                X