need some rust repair advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need some rust repair advice

Three bad spots on the '88 GM (not including the surface rust on the bottom of the fenders). Around the mirrors and one spot on the left rear door (about 1.5" in diameter). Metal still feels solid when you push on it. What would be the best way to repair this? Doesn't need to be fancy, just need to stop (or slow) the rust.

Removing the paint bubbles from your rust will help slow the rust from spreading. You can also use Navel Jelly Rust Dissolver. You can get it at Wal-Mart for like 7 bucks. Just scrape off loose rust and brush on Navel Jelly Rust Dissolver let it sit for like 10 min then rinse it off with water. Repeat if needed. I also recommend removing your mirror before repairing the area around it. Let me know if you need mor info..

Comment

What would work best for tools? Wire brush on the drill or sanding disk? When removing the mirrors, are there gaskets or seals that need to be watched out for on the base? I'll check into that Rust Dissolver. Thanks.

Comment

There's a gasket under the base, yea. It might stick a little, but you're not gonna hurt it...unless you try to.
        '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
        '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

use a sanding disk or grinding disk to remove loose rust. A wire brush on the drill will tend to shine the rust and not remove enough.

Comment

Working...
          X