OK guys spring break and wood vinyl is coming off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK guys spring break and wood vinyl is coming off

how do i take the would off my car the wood vinyl and i wa swonder what is thwe best and quickest way to do it i got a little less than a week to do it so let me know on what you think
    sigpic
    1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

It's gonna look like absolute Hell. The trim around the edges of the "wood" have metal nubs coming out of the paneling, onto which the trim snaps. So, you'll have the nubs all over your car or you'll need to grind them out, fill the holes, and sand it smooth. Either way, if you can get it done in a week, I want pictures.
    2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
    1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
    1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

i ll take some dont worry
      sigpic
      1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

I'm not at all trying to be negative about it... it's just a LOT of work. If you're gonna do it, then go for it. The only way to dive is head first.

If you end up with adhesive all over the paint from the "woodgrain" vinyl, use some WD-40 or PB Blaster and it'll come right off.
        2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
        1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
        1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

PB blaster is awesome stuff and i tihnki m first gunna try heat gun removal that should work
          sigpic

Comment

Talk to Enigma.
            '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
            '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

do what i do, take the wood off and paint the molding that outlines the wood pannel, it will look aight!

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by BoxMan
                Talk to Enigma.
                I had already posted a reply and a picture of what all he is going to expect doing this in his thread titled "What should i do". post & pic I hate repeating myself.
                1987 Country Squire LX Wagon 5.0L: Daily Ride......1964 Lincoln Continental 430ci: Toy #1.
                1984 F-250 4x4 4.9L: Toy #2.............................1968 Volkswagen Bug 2.0L: Toy #3.
                1989 F-250 4x4 5.8L: Emergency backup and work truck...

Comment

Well, at least you posted a link of what you were talking about

If anyone asks, the search function is broken. :commie:
                  1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                  Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma
                    I had already posted a reply and a picture of what all he is going to expect doing this in his thread titled "What should i do". post & pic I hate repeating myself.
                    Sorry man, forgot about that. I know what you mean...
                    '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                    '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

i forgot to srry
                      sigpic

Comment

Dear Fellow Wagoneers.
                        A heat gun and patience will get the ugly stuff off. I had it done five years ago because (a) I dislike phony wood and (b) what happens when you must repaint the wagon? Yeah, my merc looks like a ford but this week I had a paint touch up - dings and rust - and I was damn glad I didn't have to deal with that awful vinyl. Donald McCaig

Comment

first day of attempting to remove wood no good got like a 6inch by 2inch piece done so 2morro im braking out the paintstriper and and i was think when the paintstriper sinks in cani use the power washer to blow the crape off so i wouldnt have to do it by hand
                          sigpic

Comment

That shit is gonna eat your paint off along with teh vinyl
                            Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                            Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by grandpaslincoln
                              That shit is gonna eat your paint off along with teh vinyl
                              Actually, it doesn't. If you act quickly, (on the paintremover overspray) most of the paint is unharmed. I only had problems around the door handles, where I sprayed extra heavy and let it sit for awhile because I couldn't get my plastic putty knife in there to get the vinyl off. I discovered that the paint is so old and cured hard, it would take several coats of stripper to remove. Me, I wasn't worried about ruining the paint, since I was repainting anyway, and I didn't mask anything off.
                              If you are concerned about the paint, mask it off before applying the paint stripper. Apply the stripper ONLY to the vinyl. The paint stripper only acts on the vinyl, it won't take the underlying vinyl adhesive off, and definately does not even touch the paint. Do not remove the underlying adhesive with the stripper. Acetone works much better for that, and it also will not harm our old super hard paint. But, acetone will take off any new paint in a jiffy. (I got a little overspray on my windows when painting ).
                              1987 Country Squire LX Wagon 5.0L: Daily Ride......1964 Lincoln Continental 430ci: Toy #1.
                              1984 F-250 4x4 4.9L: Toy #2.............................1968 Volkswagen Bug 2.0L: Toy #3.
                              1989 F-250 4x4 5.8L: Emergency backup and work truck...

Comment

Working...
                              X