Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't find my tire tool, what else can I use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't find my tire tool, what else can I use?

I can't get my hubcaps off with that weird tool they have and I have a flat. I want to get a doughnut on because i'm waiting for some new tires to come in...

any ideas?
    2000 MGM LS

Flathead screwdriver.

2000 GM LS w/HPP
    K&N FIPK
    Dual Flowmaster 50-series SUV mufflers
    3 & 1/2" rolled, angle cut, polished stainless steel tips
    70mm throttle body from a 5.4L Econoline
    2003 Leather seats with rear cupholder
    2003 Steering wheel w/redundant radio controls
    ADR Spartan triple chrome rims size 19x8.5"
    Falken FK-452 245/40/19 tires

Comment

hand grenade
      1987 Country Squire LX Wagon 5.0L: Daily Ride......1964 Lincoln Continental 430ci: Toy #1.
      1984 F-250 4x4 4.9L: Toy #2.............................1968 Volkswagen Bug 2.0L: Toy #3.
      1989 F-250 4x4 5.8L: Emergency backup and work truck...

Comment

any chance on HOW i get it off?
        2000 MGM LS

Comment

How are your hubcaps mounted? Are they held to the wheel with a special bolt, like on the old box wire wheel covers? Or is it just really held tight on the wheel? If they're not locked on, I'd do as Sprucey suggested and use a flathead screwdriver.
          Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Originally posted by Evil LTD
            How are your hubcaps mounted? Are they held to the wheel with a special bolt, like on the old box wire wheel covers? Or is it just really held tight on the wheel? If they're not locked on, I'd do as Sprucey suggested and use a flathead screwdriver.
            locked hubcaps
            2000 MGM LS

Comment

If it is the plastic lock you can either try a screw driver...( may screw up lock) or a pair of needle nose vise grips ..It it is the metal kind you can take an under sized socket and smack it over the lock and then use a ratchet or breaker bar to remove....once off you may want to replace the lock with bolt the same length so you dont go thru this again....You also may want to see if any of your buds have the turbo sockets....they have reverse threads inside and as you put force on the head or stud it tightens down and removes the rounded off bolt or broken stud...I hope this helps....If you have any questions give me a holler 301-695-9664...Ask for john....
              President He Man Woman Haters Club

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,But rather skid in broadside,Thourghly used up totaly worn out & loudly proclaiming...WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!

http://www.myspace.com/dabearsplace

Comment

Get another at the bone yard?

Comment

I hate to bring things back from the 6 years of death but I know most forums frown on making a new thread for a (hopefully) easily answered question. I'm home from college for break (weeeee) and my parents '92 GM LS's rear tire is thoroughly punctured somewhere and I jacked it up earlier today to take the tire off but it wouldn't budge. After RTFM I see that there is a special tool (it looks like a T shaped screwdriver) for removing a locking screw that's recessed on the inside of the metal disc that sits in the middle of the entire assembly which has gone MIA. Is there anything I can do to remove it with out having to go to a dealership or tire store?

Comment

maybe a very tough drillbit? If you can't get at it with vicegrips or drill through it, probably not. Realistically, you'll eventually want a new tool no matter what unless you don't plan on putting the hubcaps back on, so it's dealership time.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Umm, removed 5 lug nuts, strike tire (not rim) with sledge hammer.

Victory.

Pics also help for whatever you're describing.

-ryan s.
                      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                      Originally posted by pantera77
                      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

he's talking about a locking wheel cover, so it's covering the lug nuts up.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Rubbish.

-ryan s.
                          08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                          97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                          94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                          73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                          12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                          Originally posted by pantera77
                          Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

I had the same problem on my 85 lincoln. I ended up just beating and prying the hubcaps with a tire iron until i finally got them off (they were ugly anyway) lol
                            -85 Town Car: Crushed, gone to a better place.
                            -91 Grand Marquis: With the Town Car
                            -94 Grand Marquis: My DD

Comment

take a dremel to it and etch a straight line in it then remove with a flat screwdriver.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X