Windshield wiper linkages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windshield wiper linkages

I was replacing the driver's side wiper arm and noticed that the spindle the wiper connects to is very loose, and there is a decent amount of play in the wipers because of this. I want to replace this part but haven't had any luck tracking it down. Someone told me it was called a transmission, but I'm not sure. Any ideas?

1986 Grand Marquis LS coupe http://photos.yahoo.com/leo76830
    sigpic
    1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
    Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Yeah, it's called a transmission. Probably have to go to the junkyard to pick up the linkage and shit. Although, I think someone here or on CVN said something about replacing the bushings in the linkage (if there are any, have vague memories of this) someone here will chime in with the right info lol
    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Yea, definately a junkyard. No way are you gunna find that stuff new.
      Nick
      88 Colony Park LS
      G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
      Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

get a new wiper transmission......these are reasonably priced from ford.......junkyard ones are worn also and it's a good idea to get a nos part while it's still available........i got a few from www.teamfordparts.com i think it's around 47 dollars for the assembly
        scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I purchased new ones from ford as well. However, I did have to buy the assembly, everything from the wiper motor on. This did also includ the bushings in the connecting rods. Get the whole assembly and it will work like new. I personaly did not want it all because I have a slightly modified assembly. Junk yard versions of these kind of parts are crap. This is the kind of parts that pretty much no car in the junkyard is going to have in good shape, and even if it is, it won't last long.

Comment

Going to definitely order the parts new through teamfordparts. This way i'll start fresh and have wipers that clear the glass. Also, I heard the that the transmission can cause a leaks into the cabin somehow, and I have plenty of leaks to start with, so new it is. Thanks for all the replies.

1986 Grand Marquis LS coupe http://photos.yahoo.com/leo76830
            sigpic
            Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

I don't see how its possible for the wiper transmission to be related to cabin leaks. It doesn't go through the firewall or anything. I guess *maybe* a little possible seepage around the screws, depending exactly what they go through but thats it. New wiper transmissions are nice though. I bought one for my car and the wipers work correctly finally. No more skipping, slapping the trim, etc.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

bump sorry for bringing up an old thread I Ordered my wiper transmission from teamfordparts.com for 58 get um while you still can lol

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

hell mine was like 30 bucks 2 years ago
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I ordered mine from Bill and I picked up a spare.
                    sigpic

Comment

So I'm taking it that there's no currently-known good source for the bushings required to rebuild an existing wiper linkage assembly?
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Bill should still have transmission assemblies (or locate them), just give him a call. I didn't know that they were rebuildable.
                        sigpic

Comment

I'm not sure either, I was just assuming they are. I guess I should dig out my extra wiper transmission assembly with the sloppy spindles and find out.
                          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 86GmLsCoupe View Post
                            Bill should still have transmission assemblies (or locate them), just give him a call. I didn't know that they were rebuildable.
                            Bill emailed me he does not have one in stock He has to try and find one. He said ford has discontinued them.

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                            302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                            k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Got your pm and sent you a reply. I got Bill hunting parts down for me to and he's pretty good at getting them so hopefully it'll turn out for you. Pretty much everything I get from him is obselete and need to be tracked down.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X