name that . . . thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

name that . . . thing

Can someone inform me as to what this little guy is for? It's right behind the battery. Looks like vaccuum lines connected to the bottom end. There's a plug and wires on the top.

Looks like a purge solenoid for the gas tank venting shit
    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

BING BING BING!!!!

Comment

Thanks, guys.

Comment

What happens if that solenoid gets stuck in the open position? Will that create a vacuum leak and mess up the engine? Reason I'm asking is mine is really badly rusted on the outside, so I have no idea if it even operates properly (got no code reader). What can happen if I just rip out the hoses (plug the intake port obviously) and allow the EVAP canister under the battery to vent straight into the atmosphere?

Comment

If its stuck open, yeah it'll create a vacuum leak. If you let it vent to atmosphere you might smell gas. Easy way to see if it works is to just hook a vacuum guage to the canister side of it. If it moves while unplugged, its stuck. Apply power and it should open. Not sure if it uses 12v or 5v or what tho.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Okay, then how does it know when to open and close? Don't remember any sensors or anything like that in the canister under the batterry, what determines how that solenoid works?

Comment

They use vacuum to open, usually operated by a temperature activated vacuum switch thats immersed in the engine coolant. At least that's how mine is.

Of course, my purge valve is the white plastic disc type, so I'm not sure how those newer ones operate.
                Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

I wonder if that's Greys problem. I've been smelling gas strongly in the cabin, and the car is not leaking it that I can see. That's probably where my constant headaches have been coming from too.
                  Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

I think it powers off the ECM somehow and it only opens at part throttle or something.

Evil: Check the hoses in and out of that canister under the battery. The steel line runs along the frame but theres a rubber hose on the end of it to the canister. Its right next to the battery on the inside of the frame rail, fairly easy to see. Might also wanna make sure the canister itself isn't cracked open.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yep - its computer controlled. On CFI cars an electric solenoid on the valve cover opens the purge valve with vacuum - on MPFI cars its all one unit, what you see in the pic.
                      Why/When it operates is beyond me. Theres a good chance anyone with a box's system is leaking. I found 2 leaks in mine just in that corner of the engine bay, not including the broken off nipple on the canister itself I just found the other day.
                      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                      sigpic
                      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I was thinking of bypassing the canister and connecting the steel line directly to the valve, or just making my life easier and ditching everything completely by placing a breather on the steel line... Too late to do anythingh right now, tomorrow if the weather permits I'll look into that.

Comment

I swapped out that solenoid with the slightly better looking one from the '90. So far, no gas fumes and my headaches went away too.
                          Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

I've ripped off everything on both of my cars. I cut the line right by the tank so it is just a vent. No fumes and no weight or ugly shit to look at.
                            Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Working...
                            X