HO upper intake plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HO upper intake plugs

Does anyone know what plugs go in the bottom of the HO intakes? There are two threaded holes right over where the valve cover would be when the intake's mounted, how do I seal them? Same for the big threaded holes on the sides of the main neck, one gets the vacuum tree, but how to close the other?

you can get various size pipe plugs at Lowes, id just bring the old nipples in and match up the threads.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Geez Pete, talk about a fast reply. Unfortunately I don't have any old plugs, I got the intake without any of them and with the studs removed... speaking of which, what's the thread for those studs?

Comment

hhmmm... Id think the holes would be standard NPT pipe thread - thats what the oil and coolant senders are, and the coolant nipple on my intake manifold was too.
        Id have to guess on the size... you could lug the whole thing into Lowes
        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

it's the same fittings that are in your stock upper intake, one is for the PCV hoses, the other one is just threaded plug.... you gotta swap some of them over and reverse the rest when you install the HO intake anyway.
          should be 3/8 NPT ....
          Last edited by 88grandmarq; 04-14-2006, 05:36 PM.
          2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
          89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
          88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq
            it's the same fittings that are in your stock upper intake, one is for the PCV hoses, the other one is just threaded plug.... you gotta swap some of them over and reverse the rest when you install the HO intake anyway.
            should be 3/8 NPT ....

:stupid:
            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

who you callin' stupid.... punk

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

You, stupid.

'89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq
                  who you callin' stupid.... punk

Any idiot that does an HO conversion to a panther.

..and can't get it running right, and is called an HO conversion guru....

Like I'm any better, my car won't run right either....:cuss:

Comment

Yeah, I'll reverse the vacuum tree for the HO intake. So 3/8" NPT you say... are the two holes on the bottom of the main collector (the bulky area where the individual runners start) the same thread too?

Comment

Everything is the same,fitting wise.

Take both intakes, flip them over and move the pieces one by one from your stock intake to the HO intake.

Comment

Well, not quite - the non-HO intake doesn't have those ports over the valve cover. And the thread ain't no 3/8 NPT, I got a pair of 3/8 plugs and they're too small, the 1/2 ones are way too big - guess that makes it for a 7/16 NPT plugs but Murray's didn't have them, off to Lowe's tomorrow. As for the tree and the other big threaded port on the main neck, yes, I already moved these to the HO intake. I'm currently waiting on TB and EGR spacer gaskets, should arrive at Murray's tomorrow afternoon - hey, if I get lucky I may even get to take the beast out cruising in the evening.

Also any tips for replacing the lower manifold? I have a set of ROL gaskets, it includes the gaskets for the heads and also two (although I only need one) sets of cork end-seals - should I use the cork end-seals, or better go with the RTV Ultra Grey (the high torque load stuff) silicone of which I have two brand new 3.5 oz. tubes?

Comment

Ports over the VC? It should! That's the PCV system... Of course, I have tons of those plugs and spare trees everywhere...friggin junkyard of a basement

Comment

OK, you'll laught at that: I go to the junkyard today and pull one of those T-ees that trhead in the ports and that the PCV hooks up too, I take the bitch to Home Depot and low and behold it turns out to be exactly 3/8 NPT. I'm like WTF, but I bough two solid brass plugs and headed home. I thread them in the intake - they fit perfectly. So after all it turns out the plugs I got at the auto parts store last night are not really 3/8, although that's what it says on the packaging... go figure.

Comment

I am still confused why you need new plugs? just swap everything over from your stock upper intake.

Comment

Working...
                              X