Super Unknown - rust repair *DUW*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super Unknown - rust repair *DUW*

Alright, so I got sick of seeing rust on S.U. There are three bad areas: around the mirrors and one spot on the left rear door. There are also areas on the bottom of the doors and rear fenders with surface rust. I started on the rear door and will update as I go on. Btw, this is my first real attempt at body work, so I'm learning as I go.

All pics (in larger format) will be added - - - here - - -.

Tools I'm using so far:
    3/8" drill, 4" paint and rust stripping wheel, 7" grinding/cutting wheel, 5" sanding disk, Dremel w/ cutting/grinding wheels, rust converter, body filler.

Here's what it started out as: (it's about 2" in diameter)

I think I'm gonna be sick:

Took the Dremel and tried to work out the deep spots a little:

I applied some Rust Converter, but got called to work, so I haven't gotten much more done. I'll update as I go.

Although, this really does make me sick . . .
    Last edited by monterey1962; 04-13-2006, 04:37 PM.

Nasty
    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Damn that looks like fun. Seriously I love that stuff. I wish I was closer to help you with it cause it is very rewarding work. Looks good (the part you did).
      2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

Looks familiar! I haven't seen the mirror area rusted that bad yet, I don't think.
        '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
        '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

it is very rewarding work.
          Exactly why I'm not handing it off to a body shop. I'm hoping to slow the rust enough so that I have something to work with when I'm able to prep for a repaint someday. When the time comes, I will no doubt cut out the rusted areas. Depends on what I find in the coming days. I'd like to start on the hail damage, as well. The trunk is savable, the hood needs to be replaced, and the roof needs to be repaired.

Comment

Good luck with the bodywork. Havent given it a try yet.

How hard do you think it would be to move the mirrors forward while your at it? Put them at the edge of the door like most cars have it now-a-days.
            -Matt
            1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

I'm not sure it would look quite right on this design. It would be interesting to see. Maybe I'll snap some pics of the mirrors ahead since I have them off.

Tonight I pulled the door panels off and got the mirrors off. Unfortuneately, the rust has spread underneath the chrome at the bottom of the windows. Pulled the chrome strip off the drivers' door. Will get the other side when I get time. I also removed the temperature gauge that was mounted in front of the driver's mirror. I'm tempted to black out or body color all the chrome on the cab. Why? I'm not sure. Maybe to be different. Plus, most of the chrome is shot anyway from hail damage and age. I'll need to find a nice donor car someday since I need a hood, too.

Comment

Nice work!
                1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by monterey1962

Looks like an elephant's butthole, yeah?
                  Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                  Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by nitroracer
                    Good luck with the bodywork. Havent given it a try yet.

How hard do you think it would be to move the mirrors forward while your at it? Put them at the edge of the door like most cars have it now-a-days.
                    Also take note how large the mirrors on most new cars are. The farther from the driver they are the larger they need to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic
                      Also take note how large the mirrors on most new cars are. The farther from the driver they are the larger they need to be.
                      yeaa...I think it would kinda give the car a "Dumbo" look.
                      Nick
                      88 Colony Park LS
                      G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
                      Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

Looks better already!

I've got a few little rust spots like that on my wagon...I gotta get them cleaned up a bit and covered so they don't get any worse.
                        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

This . . . is . . . not . . . a good day. Maybe I shouldn't have started this project.

The drivers' mirror was rusted deeper than expected.

The bottom of the drivers' door is in rough shape. The other three doors seem to be in tolerable condition. The fender inside the left rear door is rusting. Not a good place.

This is the left rear fender. From the outside it appeared as minor surface rust. When I broked the surface of the metal, rust actually poured out of the hole. It was actually rusting from the inside out. I did not know that. I am not happy.

I haven't even started on the passenger side. I think I'm just going to continue with repairing what I can and move on. I am now doubting the future of S.U. (body-wise, not the whole build up). The rust is much worse than expected and I now know that a much bigger effort and expense will be needed to fully restore her. The rust tied with the hail damage has me about what to do now.
                          Last edited by monterey1962; 04-14-2006, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Dude, doors are replaceable, especially if you're looking into a paintjob
                            Nick
                            88 Colony Park LS
                            G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
                            Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

Got everything prepped and ready for primer and paint. It got dark on me, so I'll have to finish tomorrow if I have time.

Condition under the passenger side mirror.

This is what the right rear quarter looked like. Just surface rust, right? . . .

. . . WRONG! Again, I am not happy.

Taped and prepped for paint.

I just realized that I didn't take pics of the body filler today. I'll take some tomorrow if I remember. Body filler worked pretty good. I was able to fill in the holes in the rear quarters nicely. Hopefully painting goes without any issues. I picked up a can of gray Rust-oleum primer and dark bronze paint. I don't know how well the paint is going to match, but this was the closest stuff I could find.

Comment

Working...
                              X