Pulley Bearing on it's way out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulley Bearing on it's way out?

Well my car is making unusually noises again. This time it is running and it is from the front. It over powers my exhaust at idle (glasspacks mind you). So it is pretty fucking loud. It isn't a bad sound it just sounds like added friction on a pulley somewhere. Ok I know my electric fan makes some noises sometimes when I turn it off and it is winding down. I popped the hood and I took a listen and looked for anything out of the ordinary. Ok it was coming from the front of the engine and it has to be a pulley going. I listened to my dads car at idle and my car is WAY louder pulley wise. So I guess my question is how to pin point which pulley it is? I assume spraying PB Blaster to see if it shuts up wont work. Maybe it is time for some underdrives.
    2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

take the serp belt off, and spin the idler pullies one by one........i know theres the belt tensioner bearing and the idler bearings.....not sure how many idlers.....also the ac clutch bearing and the altenator bearings

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Just replace your idler and tensioner pulley. Its cheap and easy.
      Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Thanks for that idea Scott. I will do that to see which ones.

Comment

Damn towny you were on the mark. I took belt off and checked. All seemed good. The idler pulley kind of had a tick to it. Non were horrible tough. I wiped the belt off with a dry rag I had and that also helped. I will keep a close eye on it. Thanks again guy!

Comment

I just noticed something. It is way louder on a cold engine then on a warmed up engine. What is up with that? I just looked at the tensioner and idler pulleys one rock auto and they really are cheap. Am I going to need a puller to get those off or is that just for like the crank pulley and stuff like that?
            Last edited by zwack88; 04-15-2006, 02:50 PM.

Comment

They both unbolt, no special tools needed. And yeah, it will be a little louder when cold sometimes. Hell throw a gatorback belt on if yours needs replaced while your at it.
              Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Cool thanks. I have a dayco belt that is the equivalent of the gatorback.

Comment

Working...
                X