Belt tensioner problem now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Belt tensioner problem now

Ok all the panthers are rebelling in my family when it comes to pulleys. My dads merc has a rough idle. It has been like this since last summer but just recently address. I looked cause it felt like the car is missing. It is not it runs smooth as butter. I noticed that the tensioner is really floppy on it while running. The roughness in my cars car goes when the tensioner moves. I compaired the 2 cars running mine never moves and his is always moving. I mean it is really severe when the whole car shakes at idle cause of it. Is there something that can be tightened on it or what? He still is under warrenty but he is a busy guy during the week so droping it off at the stealership is kind of hard. If I can fix it for cheap and I can do it after dinner it works out better that way.
    Thanks
    2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

The belt tensioner is not adjustable..and we do see quite a few...use a quality replacement Dayco or motorcraft...
    President He Man Woman Haters Club

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,But rather skid in broadside,Thourghly used up totaly worn out & loudly proclaiming...WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!

http://www.myspace.com/dabearsplace

Comment

Ya I thought it wasn't adjustable cause it is spring loaded.

Comment

Those wont cause it to run rough. How many miles on pops car?
        Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

His car has 29.5K on it. It is just a youngin for this sort of problem.

Comment

Time for a tune up maybe?
            Nick
            88 Colony Park LS
            G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
            Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

I just replaced my tensioner with a Gates replacement to get rid of a little belt slap I was hearing. $38 at Oreillys. Fairly easy job and it took care of the issue.

BTW, does 18 ft/lbs sound right for the bolt? I looked it up online and found the Mach1 spec (same engine), but that didn't seem very tight at all.

EDIT: It's 18 ft/lbs on the MM. Just FYI for anyone.
              Supercharged '03 Mercury Marauder - SOLD

Comment

Thanks. I will ask my dad if he wants me to replace it or if he just wants to warrenty it out with the dealership.

Comment

Working...
                X