the stereo info deal...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the stereo info deal...

ok, first off, those of you looking for wiring info, go herehttp://www.streetdreams.comor herehttp://www.the12volt.comthe second one also has cruise and car alarm wiring as well....

now, for all of you wondering what the hell to run in your car, heres the simplist easiest way to decent sound...

1:stock headunit---junk it, buy a decent cd player, kenwood, pioneer, panasonic are the top 3, alpine and clarion are too expensive and arent much better, sony is ok, but tends to have issues after 3 years or so, trust me, ive owned them all
    and stay from anything motorized, a simple flip face/removable faceplate will last a whole lot longer than some fancy motorized p.o.s.

2. speakers--replace the stock ones with the same size(preferred and just easiest) speakers, of a decent wattage, if your headunit puts out 200 watts total, that means its 50 watta a channel(left front, left rear right front right rear) AT MAX!!!! ALWAYS FOLLOW RMS WATTAGE, A 25 WATT RMS SPEAKER WITH A 300 WATT MAX WATTAGE DOES NOT RUN AT 300 WATTS, IT WILL BLOW!!!also, remember that round speakers are more accurate at reproducing sound than eliptical(meaning a 6" round will sound better than a 6x9) so if in doubt, stay round up front, because the sound in the front of the car is your main image, where in the rear its just fill mainly, so, example, im running 6.5" in the doors, 5.75" in the dash, and 6x9 in the rear deck, and 5.75 w/1"tweeters in the trunk, the last set and tweeters are mainly for parkinglot parties and dont really do anything in the car, so, with this setup, theres crystal clear high and mid up front, and just as ood mid and high in rear, all my bass comes from the subs in the trunk, but well get into that later...

3:component speakers--- are great for front imaging, however youll never get full bass from them, and you DO NOT EVER USE COMPONENTS IN THE REAR!!! components are made to be used as a front stage and not as all 4 speakers, it will not sound good and there will be way too much high and not enough mid and low, a good setup is front components or atleast a decent 2 or 3 way speaker, with a nice rear fill or a 6x9, 6.5" etc, always get decent speakers, if you cant afford the bling ones, at least get something with a decent wattage rating that you wont blow the first time you crank it up to piss off the neighbors...

4:speaker selection---simple, most stores have a display wall with cd players and speakers and shit, try to essentially make your system, find the closest cd player to what you have, play with the settings and select the speakers that sound the best, believe me, the guys working there will be happy to help you play with the stuff...

5:subs and amps:---ok, look homie, yo dont need the 4000 watt amp powering the 4 15" subs and running off 6 bayyeries, were not running a stadium concert here, you want clean crisp accurate sound with the ability to set off a car alarm or 2 when you feel like it, stay simple, a 500 watt amp powering 2 12" subs is more than enough, if you just want some simple bass to fill in your sound, and arent looking for anything huge or expensive, get 2 8" subs and a 300 watt amp, more than enough for the simple system, as for amps, again, WATCH THE RMS WATTAGE, IF A SUB IS RATED AT 300 WATTS RMS AND 600 WATTS PEAK,THEN IT NEEDS A 300 WATT AMP, NOT A 1000 WATT, YOU CAN GET AWAY WITH A 600 WATT AMP, BUT MAKE SURE YOU NEVER EVER TURN THE GAIN UP TO THE MAX, 75% UP IS FINE AND SHOULDNT BLOW UP ANYTHING...

5:wiring---its simple, dont under power, if an amp calls for 0 gauge wire, use it, you put in some shitty 4 gauge wal mart amp kit, expect it to light on fire or some other sort of bad idea to happen, enough said, as for speaker wiring, depends on the wattage, but usually a 10 gauge wire will suffice

so, this should be good for now, any questions?post them, need pics?ask and ill see what i can do, still dont know what your doing after reading this and asking questions?, then your a dumbass, seek a pro to do it for you.....jay
    jay--1983 towncar, 302v8 cfi, dual straight pipes w/resonators ,edelbrock motor goodies, custom interior, full custom stereo system, full rebuilt trunk audio setup, custom paint...more to come......

I did a few posts on this subject.
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=505
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=527
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=716
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=585
    2008 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Bone Stock

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

Comment

I'm gonna look into all this. One question, sorta dumb but I need to know. If I have a 4 channel head unit, can I put in 6 speakers by splicing into the front ones?

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
      My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

Depends on the ohm rating of the speakers.

Unless they are like brand new (05 up) stockers, I would have to say no. Most older stockers, and most aftermarket are 4-ohm in the full range, until you get into the 250 and up price range.

If you have say two door speakers of 2-ohm and 2 dash of 2-ohm, you would be in there. Radio would see a 4 ohm load on each (L/R FRT) channel, as it was designed to run. Four 4-ohm would double the ohm load, 8-ohm per channel, and you would tax the radios amp on the front end.

The more ohm load, the more power is needed to drive the speakers. It will work, but it will damage you radio over time, and shorten its life.

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

Comment

ok thanks, so my head unit puts out 45 wattsx4 channel. My 5 1/4's have 45 watts and my rear 6x9's have 50 watts. They are all wired up with nice big wires, but they suck when I put bass to them. I also dont have the rear 6x9's enclosed at all, nor the 5 1/4's. I might pull it all apart and see if i cant make it better.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.

Comment

I s the unit putting out 45x4 RMS? or is that a peak rating?

Comment

See this.

Comment

45rms peak power. I guess thats where I'm running into problems eh?

Comment

That unit probably only has 12-18 x4 RMS. Peak power is totally fucking useless. Get a cheap 4 channel amp.

Comment

thanks man, that thread you posted really helped me understand too.

Comment

Dude I just realised rading in another post about the popping of the speakers. THe radio's amp is getting clipped! The speakers are drawing more current than the amp can deliver. What model of JVC is it?

Comment

KD-G310 its about 10 months old, so probably last year's model. I looked on circuit city's website to find the rms for it, so it may be off.

Comment

BTW what does "clipping my amp mean"?

Comment

Here are teh specs.
                            I was right at 18x4 RMS

Clipping is where the speakers are drawing more current than the amp is capaible of delivering. Those little amps in any radio just cant cut it with more than 1.5 times the max RMS output. In your case, an amp capible of up to 27rms is getting asked for 30 to 40 watts. It cant do that and you get a clip, represented by the audible pop and distortion.

Comment

alright, so I should get a inexpensive 4 channel amp then?

Comment

Working...
                              X