Rebuilt my speedometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuilt my speedometer

I had decided the other day to throw in the silver Grand Marquis speedometer I had. The reason for this was because I noticed the odometer was not working on the 140mph speedo currently in there. Well, everything worked on the Merk cluster, except for the speedometer. And stupid me, I put the dash back together rather than waiting to see if it worked 100%.

Tonight, I disassembled both clusters and took the best of both and combined them. For starters, I took the odometer and the mileage indicator, and installed them into the 140mph cluster. I then installed that into the main housing of the cluster. I used the Merk housing as the printed circuit was in better shape. I also threw in the new bulbs(not led or blue unfortunately )from the 140mph cluster. Tomorrow I'll install it, and hopefully it will work ok. I also removed the airbag and seatbelt lights from the cluster.
    Save a seal, club a liberal.

Wait, what speedometer are you using then? You lost me.. lol.. I was gonna say, just swap the working stuff from the 85 into the 140, and I see you did...but from there I got lost. :p
    '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
    '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

I'm using the 140mph speedo with the 85mph printed circuit, odometer and housing. And so far it works. Just took the Vic up the road and the odo is spinning and the speedo is working. Something went right for a change, lol.
      Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Nice!
        '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
        '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Originally posted by Evil LTD
          I'm using the 140mph speedo with the 85mph printed circuit, odometer and housing. And so far it works. Just took the Vic up the road and the odo is spinning and the speedo is working. Something went right for a change, lol.
          The odo on my 91 GM just stopped at 157,000, and i don't want to spend $50 on 2 plastic gears.

Can i just unplug the speedo from another 90-91 and plug it in, or is it more work than that?

Thanks,
          91gmblack

Comment

Yep, its just plug and play.
            -Matt
            1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

I need to get two with similar mileage so I can switch out for emission testing exemptions.
              2000 Grand Marquis LS
              2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
              1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
              1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
              Mercury Owners Group member
              Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

Originally posted by Evil LTD
                I had decided the other day to throw in the silver Grand Marquis speedometer I had. The reason for this was because I noticed the odometer was not working on the 140mph speedo currently in there. Well, everything worked on the Merk cluster, except for the speedometer. And stupid me, I put the dash back together rather than waiting to see if it worked 100%.

Tonight, I disassembled both clusters and took the best of both and combined them. For starters, I took the odometer and the mileage indicator, and installed them into the 140mph cluster. I then installed that into the main housing of the cluster. I used the Merk housing as the printed circuit was in better shape. I also threw in the new bulbs(not led or blue unfortunately )from the 140mph cluster. Tomorrow I'll install it, and hopefully it will work ok. I also removed the airbag and seatbelt lights from the cluster.

Is it hard to replace the odometer on the speedo cluster, or to change the odo gears?

Comment

Let's see some pics!!!

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                  Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
                  5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Working...
                  X