PDA

View Full Version : {DRIVETRAIN}Found a K code!!

Cogs
12-03-2004, 01:11 AM
..but have no way to get it out or home. :confused: My brother has a truck, but he usually isnt home or willing to help. It's the ONLY K code rear in the junkyard I go to, and it just came in today. Do K codes have bigger rear brakes or anything else different on the axle? Or could I just take the gears and trac loc unit out?

Cogs
12-03-2004, 01:23 AM
Okay, I just decided, I'm just going to take the Trac loc and gears. Anyone done this? How hard is it, how long will it take, what tools do I need? I've never done it before obviously.

Grand Marquis GT
12-03-2004, 01:48 AM
They got 11" drums, compared to 10" stock..

Mercracer
12-03-2004, 04:24 PM
Okay, I just decided, I'm just going to take the Trac loc and gears. Anyone done this? How hard is it, how long will it take, what tools do I need? I've never done it before obviously.

Easy as cake. Bring a 1 1/16 socket and a big breaker bar for the pinion nut. A big pipe wrench is helpful to hold the yoke in place. You can also screw 2 bolts back into the yoke face and use a bar between them to hold the yoke.
You will need a 5/16 socket to get the bolt holding the diff pin in. With the pin out, shove one axle in at a time, pull out the C-Clip (a thin magnet works well, or a needle nose pliers) and remove the axle. Then remove the diff bearing caps and use a pry bar to pop the diff out. With the diff out of the way and the pinion yoke removed, the pinion will come out through the diff housing.
Keep track of the 2 shims between the diff and housing, one on each side.

Ifixyawata
12-04-2004, 02:00 AM
Isn't installing gears a PITA, at least regarding clerances and all that shit you need a micrometer and feeler guages for?

Cogs
12-04-2004, 02:05 AM
That doesnt sound easy as cake. I'm confused already. lol. Maybe I'll just try to get the whole axle.

Ifixyawata
12-04-2004, 02:21 AM
Getting the whole axle will definitely be easier. I've never installed gears but I know that it involves some precision work. If not it'll have a whine or it'll eat up the gears. If it's at all possible I'd reccommend getting the whole rear end. If you're just gonna buy gears and a T-L unit (and go through the hassle to install them) just get a new one. But yeah. Get the whole thing.

Mercracer
12-04-2004, 11:51 AM
No feeler guages, but you need a dial type inch lb torque wrench, a dial indicator, and some type of a micrometer or caliper to measure your diff shims. I would start out using all of the same shims and see what that gives you. This is what I am doing within a couple of weeks.........I will let you know how it goes. I will take a pile of pics for everyone.

Lincolnmania
12-04-2004, 08:13 PM
hey cogs, you can get the axle home in your vic's trunk
eric (88grandmarq) and i did it with his car when we got his k code......fits like a glove
scott :slug:

Cogs
12-05-2004, 01:05 AM
hey cogs, you can get the axle home in your vic's trunk
eric (88grandmarq) and i did it with his car when we got his k code......fits like a glove
scott :slug:

Seriously?? I tried fitting the header panel in...even on an angle it was a no go.

88grandmarq
12-05-2004, 10:32 AM
yeah, the rear diff assembley fits nicely in the trunk. I have done it several times.

Also, its gonna be much easier to pull the entire assembely than try to take the ring&pinion/carrier.

88grandmarq
12-05-2004, 11:15 AM
They got 11" drums, compared to 10" stock..

I forgot to mention... not ALL K codes got 11" brakes. the K code thats in my car got pulled from a '84 town car with 10" brakes.
usually station wagons got 11" brakes and sedans with the towing package got 11" brakes. Some police cars got them too.