{DRIVETRAIN}Found a K code!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

{DRIVETRAIN}Found a K code!!

..but have no way to get it out or home. :confused: My brother has a truck, but he usually isnt home or willing to help. It's the ONLY K code rear in the junkyard I go to, and it just came in today. Do K codes have bigger rear brakes or anything else different on the axle? Or could I just take the gears and trac loc unit out?

Okay, I just decided, I'm just going to take the Trac loc and gears. Anyone done this? How hard is it, how long will it take, what tools do I need? I've never done it before obviously.

Comment

They got 11" drums, compared to 10" stock..
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by Cogs
        Okay, I just decided, I'm just going to take the Trac loc and gears. Anyone done this? How hard is it, how long will it take, what tools do I need? I've never done it before obviously.
        Easy as cake. Bring a 1 1/16 socket and a big breaker bar for the pinion nut. A big pipe wrench is helpful to hold the yoke in place. You can also screw 2 bolts back into the yoke face and use a bar between them to hold the yoke.
        You will need a 5/16 socket to get the bolt holding the diff pin in. With the pin out, shove one axle in at a time, pull out the C-Clip (a thin magnet works well, or a needle nose pliers) and remove the axle. Then remove the diff bearing caps and use a pry bar to pop the diff out. With the diff out of the way and the pinion yoke removed, the pinion will come out through the diff housing.
        Keep track of the 2 shims between the diff and housing, one on each side.

Comment

Isn't installing gears a PITA, at least regarding clerances and all that shit you need a micrometer and feeler guages for?

Comment

That doesnt sound easy as cake. I'm confused already. lol. Maybe I'll just try to get the whole axle.

Comment

Getting the whole axle will definitely be easier. I've never installed gears but I know that it involves some precision work. If not it'll have a whine or it'll eat up the gears. If it's at all possible I'd reccommend getting the whole rear end. If you're just gonna buy gears and a T-L unit (and go through the hassle to install them) just get a new one. But yeah. Get the whole thing.

Comment

No feeler guages, but you need a dial type inch lb torque wrench, a dial indicator, and some type of a micrometer or caliper to measure your diff shims. I would start out using all of the same shims and see what that gives you. This is what I am doing within a couple of weeks.........I will let you know how it goes. I will take a pile of pics for everyone.

Comment

hey cogs, you can get the axle home in your vic's trunk
                  eric (88grandmarq) and i did it with his car when we got his k code......fits like a glove
                  scott :slug:

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania
                    hey cogs, you can get the axle home in your vic's trunk
                    eric (88grandmarq) and i did it with his car when we got his k code......fits like a glove
                    scott :slug:
                    Seriously?? I tried fitting the header panel in...even on an angle it was a no go.

Comment

yeah, the rear diff assembley fits nicely in the trunk. I have done it several times.

Also, its gonna be much easier to pull the entire assembely than try to take the ring&pinion/carrier.
                      2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                      89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                      88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Originally posted by grand_marquis_gt
                        They got 11" drums, compared to 10" stock..
                        I forgot to mention... not ALL K codes got 11" brakes. the K code thats in my car got pulled from a '84 town car with 10" brakes.
                        usually station wagons got 11" brakes and sedans with the towing package got 11" brakes. Some police cars got them too.
                        2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                        89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                        88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Working...
                        X