Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to re-chrome a 1986 Lincoln front bumber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to re-chrome a 1986 Lincoln front bumber?

Here is what the local re-chroming expert just told me:

We have a problem. It appears the bumber you have sent here is not made of steel. From the picture and your description I was unabe to see this. I am assuming the manufacturer has made it out of some alloy. We have never done a bumper made of this type before and am not set up to do so.

I sincerely apologise for this however I had no idea it was not made from steel, otherwise I would have suggested so to you.
    The problem is that some of the chrome is lifting in one or two places where water has rested.

What I need to do now is find someone in AUSTRALIA (yes - that is where I am) that can do the job. I am not asking you guys to recommend someone.

But - rather:
    - what material the bumper would be made out of
    - what sort of company I should start looking in the Yellow pages for.

Thanks

Rob
    Rob the Aussie
    Photos
    Founding (and only) member of the CLIPPer Club.
    (Continuous Lincoln ImProvement Program).

Car: '86 Lincoln Town Car
    Engine: 302 Windsor

The bumper is made of aluminum. I would call around to different chroming places and ask them if they can rechrome an aluminum bumper
    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Yep, aluminum.

Comment

look for a custom body shop since they do gold plating and stuff like that. at least the custom body shops around here do chroming and gold plating
        Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

base model towncars have steel chromed bumpers.......possibly could have one shipped from the usa...........if i find u one, can i trade you for some aussie cleveland parts hehe

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I am a bit confused:

grandpaslincoln = Aluminium
            Blaze86Vic = Aluminium
            linconmania = 'Steel Chromed'

What is it? Steel or Aluminium under the chrome?
            Rob the Aussie
            Photos
            Founding (and only) member of the CLIPPer Club.
            (Continuous Lincoln ImProvement Program).

Car: '86 Lincoln Town Car
            Engine: 302 Windsor

Comment

Rob, Town Cars got either steel or aluminum bumpers, nothing else. If yours isn't steel under the chrome, then it's aluminum.

Comment

rob
                1986 and newer cartier and signature towncars got aluminun bumpers, the 1985 and 1986 base model towncar came with steel bumpers (gadget73's 86 towncar has steel bumpers) same as the 80-84 towncars had steel hoods, 85-89 towncars have aluminium hoods.......guess they were trying to reduce weight.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Stick a magnet on it, and you'll know what it is made of. My original front bumper is steel, the back was steel too, but that was obvious from the big rust holes in it.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                  X