Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lowering the car with 98-02 parts, compensating for extreme camber change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lowering the car with 98-02 parts, compensating for extreme camber change?

As the subject states. I plan on slamming GMGT pretty close to teh pavement, and was wondering what could be done to keep the correct camber.

I will probably go with the chevelle springs, with a pretty high rate, and probably koni shocks.

Of course I will also go with a different rear setup. Opinions?

Oh yeah, the wheels I want for GMGT are 155 a peice!
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

in the frotn being upper/lower a-arms they will accomidate heigth changes ptretty well. If you are lucky the upper ball joints will have enough adjustment to get you near ideal camber. If nto you will probalby have to cut your control arm mounts off and relocate them further out ont he frame rail this requires lots of very careful measurement if you ever want the car to track straight.

As for the rear, if you lower it you might have to correct your pinion angle, you would have to make new adjustable upper control arms. Mustang arms will be about 3" too short. For springs in the rear you might want to check out some weight jacker plates. just have to weld a big nut to the upper spring mopunt, drill a big hole in the trunk, then you could adjust your ride height with a 1/2" drive ratchet.
    Are you doing it for looks or for handeling? If for handeling then you dont need much of a drop, biggest thing would be a front splitter to keep the air out from under the car, also need side skirts and a rear diffuser.

Of course if you are slamming it on the pavement then you can forget about handeling, too close to the ground your suspension wont have the travel to properly function. Even the lowest of low race cars, German Touring Cars (DTM cars) have about 1" of clearence around the body, but that is just body work the actual frame is higher.

This is an Audi DTM car. It sits on the ground, but you can see how much the body extends down. this is also a purpose race car with TONS of money thrown at it.

they can get away with those low heights because they have flat bellies, the exhaust is routed through the car (notice the exhaust coming out of the fendar ahead of the right rear tire), insanely high spring rates, and very smooth race tracks, One of them The Norris ring is an old Nazi parade ground.
    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

My car is pretty slammed. Camber on these cars goes backwards as you lower em. The lower they are the more they tilt out at the top. You lift em they tilt out a ton at the bottom. They look like a lowered honda that way. These cars were built to be slammed tom.
      1989 Grand Marquis LS
      flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Duce, I want it for both looks and handling.

Comment

Air ride, yo.
          2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
          1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
          1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

I will be running 26" tall tires, and want to have it set pretty low on them. I know I will have to trim/roll my fender lips, but that's ok. May even do a bit of a flare...

Comment

98-02 front suspension on a box has pretty extreme amounts of camber and caster compensation. You have both the 98 upper arm adjustment, plus the slider on the frame to work with.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Good to know, mang!

Comment

Working...
                X