How to convert Dash - Left to Right hand drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to convert Dash - Left to Right hand drive

Some forum members have asked me to post photos of how the dash of my 1986 Town Car was converted to the Down Under side of the road.

Here are the photos.
    http://freenet-antennas.com/v-web/gallery/Conversion
    Rob the Aussie
    Photos
    Founding (and only) member of the CLIPPer Club.
    (Continuous Lincoln ImProvement Program).

Car: '86 Lincoln Town Car
    Engine: 302 Windsor

Wow...

Thank you for the pictures!
    '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
    '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Looks cool, but the mis-alignment of some of the panels would bother me alot
      Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
      Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Very well done.

I too noticed the slight misalignment, but considering what they had to do to make it work, it looks great.

Very nicely done.

Congratz on a very rare box lincoln.
        Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
        AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
        Open/Lock/Ratio #
        -----------------------
        G / H / 2.26
        B / C / 2.47
        8 / M / 2.73
        7 / - / 3.07
        Y / Z / 3.08
        4 / D / 3.42
        F / R / 3.45
        5 / E / 3.27
        6 / W / 3.73
        2 / K / 3.55
        A / - / 3.63
        J / - / 3.85

Comment

Yeah, that was probably the least of the problems they had to contend with lol
          Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
          Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

That is really cool!
            2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

wow thats amazing..
              LTD is still here

Comment

That's a very impressive piece of work there!

Comment

I still don't understand how they did the glove box, the vinyl trim around it cannot be switched left to right so they must have had some custom "mirrors" done to it. Whatever it was the end result looks great!

Hey Rob, can you snap a pic of the engine bay? I really wanna see how the moved the steering box and dealt with the whole HVAC mess on the right side of the dash..

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan D
                    I still don't understand how they did the glove box, the vinyl trim around it cannot be switched left to right so they must have had some custom "mirrors" done to it. Whatever it was the end result looks great!

Hey Rob, can you snap a pic of the engine bay? I really wanna see how the moved the steering box and dealt with the whole HVAC mess on the right side of the dash..
                    x2
                    99 Crown Vic PI
                    |KittieFind.com - Your Source For Kitties and Cats - Forums, Classifieds, Blogs and Much more!|

Mods:
                    Marauder Corners, Meg Non-Resonated Tips, Dual Delta Flowmaster 40s, Honeycomb grill, Lin Cont Console And Shifter, Blacked out rears,.. LTD Treatment

What do I have for sale?
                    -Jon

Comment

i doubt they moved the box. Most likely there is a chain and gears under the dash.
                      http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                      http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Duce, the box is indeed moved, read Rob's thread in the newbie forum.

Comment

thats really neat actually. i dunno about newer cars.... never paid much attention... but on my dads 1940 Plymouth pickup... there are mounting holes for everything on the right side of the truck for righthand drive components. just need to move/get the new stuff to convert it.

grand_marquis_gt: "Wow dude, you got the GMGT sedan!"

there, now im cool too

Comment

Hi Rob

Yeah I am kinda curious about that aswell

Here in the U.K we are allowed to drive a left hand drive so we don't have to go through the expense of a conversion, just what would be the cost of a left to right drive conversion?

Take care

Dereck
                            President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Also "The Pondside Pain In Your Posterior"

Comment

wow, that must have been no small re-engineering feat to get the electrics moved over. I looked into installing the digital dash in my car, and it just seemed like more work than I was interested in. There is a huge wiring harness back there going to the computer and all. The wiring alone must have taken no small amount of work.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X