3-ways vs. 4-ways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3-ways vs. 4-ways

In the '88 I have 4-way Pioneers. In the '89 I have 3-way Pioneers. I seem to be able to get the 3-ways louder while staying clearer than the 4-ways. Is there any real difference between 3-way and 4-way speakers? What about sound quality? The decks are both Pioneers with pretty much the same specs.

3 ways proably have a larger tweeter and mid, while the 4 ways have a smaller mid and 2 smaller tweets, therefore the slightly larger speakers can handle more power/volume and stay clearer sounding?, thats the only thing i can think of, slightly different crossover setup mabye, i dunno whatelse would cause the difference
    jay--1983 towncar, 302v8 cfi, dual straight pipes w/resonators ,edelbrock motor goodies, custom interior, full custom stereo system, full rebuilt trunk audio setup, custom paint...more to come......

Comment

Sensitivity rating maybe but I think they have the same rating?? I think the dome mids are the same in both, they just add a "super" tweeter to the 4-ways. LOL the 5-ways have 2 "super" tweeters.

Comment

super useless, get something less fuckin complicated, 3 ways are all you need, 4 and 5 ways just add more crap to blow up
        jay--1983 towncar, 302v8 cfi, dual straight pipes w/resonators ,edelbrock motor goodies, custom interior, full custom stereo system, full rebuilt trunk audio setup, custom paint...more to come......

Comment

best is to do seperate subs, mids, and tweeters

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

yep - your speaker sound different just becuase they are different. Plus Im guessing they are being driven by different head units.

Any speaker more than a 2-way is just gimmick. there is no need for anything more, unless the quality is so poor that the 'tweeters' cant reproduce all the frequencies it should. A good solo single cone midrange speaker and a good tweeter with a good response range is all thats needed.
            There should be plenty of overlap in the response plots (Hz vs dB) so that everything is covered with the same intensity.
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Check it, but I believe the factory head unit is only good to 16khz, which is usually inside the range of the high mid. But is too low for the "super tweeters", so the result is that they will never even be used, but will be wasting power just picking up static. Most aftermarket units are only good to 20-25khz either. Check speaker rang compared to head unit's output range.

Comment

Ive never heard 3 ways that can touch my 2 ways. I still say my kawasakis sound better than my alpine but they wont handle much power.
                1989 Grand Marquis LS
                flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic
                  Check it, but I believe the factory head unit is only good to 16khz, which is usually inside the range of the high mid. But is too low for the "super tweeters", so the result is that they will never even be used, but will be wasting power just picking up static. Most aftermarket units are only good to 20-25khz either. Check speaker rang compared to head unit's output range.
                  The factory HU is only good to 16kHz because cassettes are only good to that, he has Pioneer HU's anyway. Human hearing is in the range of 20Hz to 20kHz, I guess I should say "normal" because as you get older you're ears lose sensitivity in the higher ranges...14kHz+. 16k is well in the tweeter range, my tweeters play from 4kHz up.

I agree that anything above 3way for a 6x9 is a gimmick though...

Comment

Working...
                  X