Swapping steering columns?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swapping steering columns?

How hard is it on a 90-91? What exactly do I have to do? I want to have a tilt wheel, and the '90 column would be a perfect shoe-in.
    Save a seal, club a liberal.

not too bad... Id say the hardest part would be getting the steering shaft and shift linkage loose. The column itself is held in with a couple bolts... unplug some wire harnesses and I think thats about it.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I think the 90-91 steering shaft has a coupler just one side of the firewall that will let it come apart with a single bolt. Failing that, there is always the slip joint. Its just above the rag joint under that little rubber booty. It is supposed to slide apart, and there is a flat metal spring in there. Probably rusted solid tho. We had to torch the hell out of mine, then beat it half to death with a BFH before it came apart. I think that alone took over an hour. Once you get the shaft itself undone its mostly cake. Oh, you'll also need to disconnect the little cable that runs the gear selector.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Can not remember...if it has Airbag...If it has it make sure before starting work disconect yellow airbag cable...Also before doing yellow cable...disconect fuse for Airbag...
        President He Man Woman Haters Club

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,But rather skid in broadside,Thourghly used up totaly worn out & loudly proclaiming...WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!

http://www.myspace.com/dabearsplace

Comment

I got the column out of the blue car. I probably shouldn't have taken as much off the column as I did either, but oh well. When I get the time, this column will go in GO. Thanks for the help guys!
          Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Working...
          X