Rear Axles - How New?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Axles - How New?

Quick question, what is the cutoff year for installing a newer axle in box body? I found a 2000 vic axle with 20k for under $50.

-Matt
    1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

3.55s?

In my opinion, it should bolt right in.
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

IIRC 98+ axels wont work in the boxes. Looking at the pics I dont see an upper control arm mount. I think thats set up for a 3 link.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
      My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

At least get the differential cover and install it on your car! :evil:

I have a Maurader diff cover (I just wanted something 92+) waiting for mine...

'85 2-Door Crown Victoria
        302 HO, -0.022" E7 Heads, Weiand Dual Plane Intake, Edelbrock 1406 Carb, Mechanical Fuel Pump, HEI Distributor, 180* T-stat, Transgo Shift Kit, HO Governor, Lokar TV/Throttle Cable Setup, B&M Torq Master 2000 RPM Stall Converter, FRPP Trans Cooler, Mustang Shorty Headers, 2.25" Dual Exhaust, Flowtech H-pipe (no converters), Hooker AeroChamber Mufflers, Side-exit Exhaust w/ Chromed 2.5" Tips, '02 PI F/R Shocks, Cut 2004 PI Front Springs in the Rear, PI Rear Sway Bar, 17" SAP Wheels, 245/50/Z17 Michelin Pilot A/S Tires, Cold A/C, Cruise Control, 4.10 Rear End Gears, Trac Lok Diff.
        '04 Crown Victoria LX Sport, '02 Jeep Liberty
        '83 Suzuki GS 1100E Motorcycle[/color]

Comment

If it is a 3.55 trac lok, buy it for the guts and swap them in.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercmarquis
            Looking at the pics I dont see an upper control arm mount. I think thats set up for a 3 link.
            x2

Box body rear disc conversion uses the 92-97 hardware on the stock axles

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
            '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
            '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

The 98+ have the Watts link, you can see part of it on the center of the diff housing.

There are 4 control arms but paralell outboard on the axle. The 79-97 axle uses the angled upper arms mounted to the Diff center to control lateral motion of the axle, with the Watts link the lateral motion is much more controlled vs rubber bushings holding the axle in place.

So yeah you can't bolt that in
              2004 Marauder M79 90K miles Jmod!! 14.85 @95.63
              2004 Crown Vic LX 135K Silver Birch Light flint leather FMX1 04 P-71 PCM swap 04 P-71 Airbox and Zip tube "$100 MZT" 01 F-250 70 MM TB 21mm swaybar wood steering wheel BH headlight relay

Comment

No, it will not bolt up. But you can use the differential and gears out of it,

Comment

Ill ask about what gears are in it, I can see the tag on the cover still. Will those brakes swap over to my old axle too or is that a 92-97 only thing too?
                  -Matt
                  1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

Wow, you guys need glasses. The upper control arm is still attached on the right side!

97 is the "bolt in" cutoff year. As chevyguy stated 98+ went to the watts link with a parallel 4 link.
                    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by nitroracer
                      Ill ask about what gears are in it, I can see the tag on the cover still. Will those brakes swap over to my old axle too or is that a 92-97 only thing too?
                      The brakes should be the same. even the 03 rotors are teh same on the rear.
                      http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                      http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

rear discs should swap over to 2002 but the 98-02 housing will not bolt in........i do believe 03+ have vented rear discs........is it a 3.55 locker?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                        X