521 Stroker Motor for the Fairlane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

521 Stroker Motor for the Fairlane

I started ordering parts for a 521 Stroker motor for my Fairlane. I'll have another .030 460 block on an engine stand, a Scat Industries 521 Stroker rotating assembly, balanced for the internally balanced engine, H-beam rods, JE forged aluminum pistons, which are made just for the new Kaase designed aluminum SCJ heads, that have a different valve location than the traditional 385 series heads. I'm shooting for 600HP, and 600+ ft.lbs of torque, which Desktop Dyno puts me in the ballpark. All of this with 93 pump gas, with the compression only at 9.8 to 1. Not much going on yet, but I did get the block back from machining, and it's on the engine stand. It's a basic 460 D1VE block, bored .030 over, zero deck, mains line honed, new cam bearings and freeze plugs, cleaned and magnafluxed. The Scat rotating assembly has been delayed for 3 weeks, due to the JE pistons out of stock. It's been two weeks since the notice, so it looks like maybe a week or two until I get the crank, rods, and pistons. I'm having everything balanced together.

I went with the hydraulic Ford cam (310/320 duration and .588/.614 lift :geek2 , and ditched the roller cam idea. I kind of wanted to stay with the "Ford Theme", and all of it is, except for Trick Flow 1.73 roller rockers. They provide the best valve geometry for these heads, so I bought them. The rest is all Ford; cam, lifters, pushrods, timing chain, SFI rated harmonic balancer, intake (it's the Edelbrock Victor, but carries the Ford Racing part number), valves, springs, and guide plates.

I dug up my old Top Loader 4-speed, and that is going in the Fairlane. I scored a 460 Lakewood steel bellhousing for $75, and I'll pick up a new flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate. I'm going to use a hydraulic setup up to push the original style fork and throw bearing. I'll weld a bracket on the bellhousing for a slave cylinder, and use a clutch master cylinder and Wilwood pedal for the clutch. I won't have to worry about header clearance issues with the Z-bar setups. It's going to be nice shifting gears again. I bought a gasket and seal kit for the trans, and some cool cast iron looking paint. It has a fresh rebuild on it, before I pulled it out of my old 70 Torino Cobra, but it's been sitting under a workbench since 1996. I'll make it look new again.

That's about it for now, and here's a pic of the block going on the engine stand, and some of the new parts that came yesterday. I bought the new SCJA heads, G429 "Victor" intake, C460 cam, B303 lifters, P460 different length pushrods for use on the SCJA heads, B429 timing chain set, A460 SFI Dampner, and some other misc. Ford parts. This completes my Ford theme 521 build, except for the Trick Flow roller rockers, which didn't come yet. More to come soon, so stay tuned.

Look at the size of the intake valve, compared to a beer can.

Tom, I know you'll love this one, because ever since I saw that pic you had in your signature of the Hurst Fairlane, I told myself I have to get my Top Loader in the car, and ditch the C6. Since I scored that Lakewood Bellhousing, here's the old Top Loader out of my 70 Torino Cobra, that's going in the Fairlane. Thanks for the inspiration! It the big spline 1 3/8 X 10 input, 31 spline output, close ratio. The pic is a little crappy, but I'll shoot a new one when I do the gaskets, seals, and repaint it.

1966 Ford Fairlane 500XL - 521 Stroker/4-speed
    1997 Ford F250XLT Heavy Duty - 460/E4OD
    2008 Ford Crown Victoria LX

A 4 speed, AND a enormous big block?

you still gonna let me drive it? :evil:

I gotta say, this is the best idea i've seen yet :worship:
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Of course you can Tom. You, Scott, and me will have to have round two down in Atlantic City when you come back.

Comment

When's the next skynryd sconcert?

I'll buy the beers this time!

Comment

Very nice! Are you interested in adopting any 21 year old sons? I gotta see that thing someday!

Comment

My friends Billy and "The Colonel - Mark", told me Skynyrd is back in AC this summer. When are you coming home? We are going to see Sammy Hagar on June 30th here in Jersey. That should be a good show too.

Comment

I won't be back in the US till next yr

I can't thank you enough for making my dreams of seeing skynryd in concert a reality!!!

Comment

Those are some bigass valves mang!

That thing is gonna own all when it's done :rock:
                Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

all i can say is wow........can i have your 472?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I do believe I just messed myself...

PLEASE COME TO SCOTTFEST06 AND BRING THAT THING!!!!

And I belive you said I could drive the fairlane too
                    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

DAMN!

Comment

Sorry Scott, the 472/C6 combo, is going into my brother's 47 Ford Pickup. He was going to use this 302 with the tunnel ram, but since he's getting a FREE 472, he couldn't refuse. Here's his truck that we are working on.

It should be done by Scottfest, which I hope to make this year. I'll let you all take it for a joy ride. The only thing that will delay me, is that we lost a guy at work who does my job, so there's only 3 of us now until the new guy gets trained. He's starting today, but it will take him a good 10 months, before he "gets" it. Our Plant is huge, and there's alot to know. I'll be building up the motor and working on the car, in drips and drabs. :nonono: The OT money is great, it pays for the toys, but it's too much. Oh well, I'll keep you posted.

Comment

Holy Hell!!! That monster will suck some of the air out of my lungs here in Indiana when you fire it up.
                          Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

uh, wow.
                            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Damn I just saw this! That thing is going to be a monster! What tires are you running on the Hpp's to get that thing to stick?
                              2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

Working...
                              X