To trac loc or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To trac loc or not

Ok guys are the ford trac loc good or would an after market eaton or detroit be better....I keep being told that the ford trac loc sucks...I can pick one up cheaper than the eaton or detroit...I want to do this once ....not twice...
    President He Man Woman Haters Club

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,But rather skid in broadside,Thourghly used up totaly worn out & loudly proclaiming...WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!

http://www.myspace.com/dabearsplace

eaton is basically the same as the stocker. Torsens are great but cost more than my car...detroit is clunky and loud. The true tracs might be alright. No experience with them.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

i have a 2.71 trac lock in my white '87. i have had no problems w/ it except when a friend borrowed it and got a flat. they had a diff tire size put on and it started acting up. i had a tire that matched the other side put on and no more problems. i have changed the diff. oil twice and all the teeth look great. i live on a gravel road and fight some good snows w/ the car and it hasnt let me down.
      Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Yeah, I have one of the TrueTracs that mrltd mentioned. They are maintainance free, top notch performance, no noise wat so ever, and does not creat any adverse driving characteristics. However, the down side is they are pretty expensive. A little bit over $400 for just the differential.

Comment

Originally posted by 87_crown_vic
          "I have a 2.71 trac lock in my white '87...".
          Do you mean a 2.73 gearset?

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
          Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
          5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

from the code on the metal plate on the rearend it is a 2.71
            Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Whats the code? Not sure there was ever a 2.71, 2.73 was standard on many cars though.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

No 2.71 that I've ever heard of. Get the AX code on the door sticker.
                '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Thanks guys I am getting a set of 410s and trac lock from Hwy cruiser I can not wait....

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,But rather skid in broadside,Thourghly used up totaly worn out & loudly proclaiming...WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!

Comment

Ah, so YOU got em!

Aha! It's all good mang...
                    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

i was having fun wth my trac loc a few minutes ago, in a parking lot. ooohhh yea

grand_marquis_gt: "Wow dude, you got the GMGT sedan!"

there, now im cool too

Comment

Originally posted by Datdambear
                        Thanks guys I am getting a set of 410s and trac lock from Hwy cruiser I can not wait....
                        You may want to look at replacing the clutch pack on the trac-lock. It's not 100% dead, but it's seen better days. Can anybody help him out on how difficult a job this would be?
                        Supercharged '03 Mercury Marauder - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by HwyCruiser
                          You may want to look at replacing the clutch pack on the trac-lock. It's not 100% dead, but it's seen better days. Can anybody help him out on how difficult a job this would be?
                          If it is out of the axle it is not a big pain, just getting it in the diff while keeping all the friction and steels together is a little tricky.
                          http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                          http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Yep...I got a rebuild kit already setting here.I have a buddy who is going to rebuild the unit for me. Then I will install it one night after work..Zooom Zooommm

Comment

Originally posted by Datdambear
                              If you run 4.10's you'll probably need the extended tailshaft and driveshaft from a P71 or you might get serious vibration issues, ect at higher speeds. Safety concerns too. Panthers have very long driveshafts that tend to vibrate at higher speeds. Anything more than 3.55's usually requires it
                              Last edited by sdacbob; 05-17-2006, 02:17 AM.

Silver Frost 02 Grand Marquis GS, 3.73 Trac-Loc,
                              Dual Exhaust w/ FRPP Megs, MM Airbox & 80mm MAF, SCT XCallibrator 2 from BOC,CVPI Rear Facia,
                              Pro Guard, Edelbrock IAS Shocks,Addco Sway bars

Comment

Working...
                              X