IRS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRS?

Alright, I know when I had my turd, the IRS was pretty good.

I was wondering, could I modify one of these to fit my box? I know this would probably make a difference in handling, bigtime...

I can't remember the width of them both drum to drum, but of course I know scott has one of each car so that wouldnt be a problem

I know it would require some fabrication, but what doesnt?
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

look at newer explorers for components, that would probably be the best bet.

or an expidition

I wouldnt suggest LS. 1 it would be too narrow, 2 the suspension componentry is built for a much smaller vehicle
    GMNRadio DJ, Podcast Co-Host
    1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria - Drag Car.
    99 Ranger 2.5 - Parts hauler and Pit truck.
    03 Mustang 3.8 Convertable - Head Gaskets fukered up
    95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

Stay away from the MN 12 IRS it is not the best donor. try to find one from an 99+ Cobra, alot of guys swap to straight axle and sell them for around $500. The rear suspension will bolt into a fox so you will have to make new mounting brackets. also might have to run a wheel with more dish than normal, im not sure on the flange to flange distance compared to our cars.

Mustang road race guys say that a properly set up Three-link handles just like an IRS car.
      http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
      http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

From what I've read, the staright axle is much better. The IRS has alot of brake/acceleration steer from the bushings and design compromises.
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd
          From what I've read, the staright axle is much better. The IRS has alot of brake/acceleration steer from the bushings and design compromises.
          Im sure most of that could be cured with Maximum Motorsports "Grip in a Box" although the kit is not cheap, IIRC $500+
          http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
          http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Mustang WMS is roughly 5" shorter than Panther, which could be compensated with deep wheels.
            2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
            1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
            1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

I think IRS would be great, you will have to make a lot stronger anti-sway bar. And the frame will need some stiffening I think as well.

Comment

If the benefits outweigh the cons, I think it would be cool.

I plan on running pretty wide wheels in teh rear anyways... some 17X9 wheels widened to 17X11 or 12... I think some rear framerail werk is going to be needed as well...

Comment

To run the 12 you will need to notch the frame out for it.

Comment

Measure 2.5" in from the back edge of your rear drums and that'll tell you. The calipers may even stick another .5" past the backing plate, though. I think it'd be cool.

I know the IRS is becoming more and more popular among the local Fox crowd. One guy bought the IRS from a new Cobra and as it turns out, it's damn near a direct bolt-on. Slight performance loss at the track, but he says it rides like nothing else.
                    2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.

Comment

I ain't going to be drag racing it. It's going to be built for teh corners...

Comment

Then definitely, yes. That's why this guy did it to begin with, for the handling.

Comment

Combine this with a bit of a weight loss....

Comment

How? I'm pretty sure the IRS is heavier... lots of extra joints and such...

Comment

I mean putting the car on a diet.

Of course, with the motor and IRS stuff, after some weight loss in the chassis, it will probably weigh just as much as it does now...

Comment

Working...
                              X