X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powersteering problems

Hello, i'm new here and i own a Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP 1995
    It has 141000 km on the odo.

Well my problem, when the car is at idle i should have full assist, but that is not the case. No codes.
    Powersteering fluid is changed.
    When the EVO sensor is not working i should have full assist.
    So could it be the VSSensor?
    But if this sensor is the same that the PCM uses to determine shift schedule than the sensor is working.
    When i'm driving above the 8-10 miles steering is a little lighter.
    Below it's heavier.
    Engine RPM is 590-610 in DRIVE (HOT) and in Park 790-810 (HOT) AC OFF.
    So who can help me out here?
    the Netherlands
    MGM 95 LS HPP
    141000 KM.

do you have a obd reader? I can walk you through a couple tests to pinpoint the problem

although I'm not positive a generic one will work, but we can try if you have one
    GMNRadio DJ, Podcast Co-Host
    1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria - Drag Car.
    99 Ranger 2.5 - Parts hauler and Pit truck.
    03 Mustang 3.8 Convertable - Head Gaskets fukered up
    95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

oh, and did you check codes from the connecter in the engine bay or the one in the right hand side of the trunk?
      95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

Not to get overly complex here, but could it simply be the pump is giving up?
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Where are you in the Netherlands? I'm in Germany right now and will be in the Netherlands in a couple weeks. I could stop by to help you out (read: I have OBD-II scanner to assist).

Comment

I have the KAL 9640B OBD2 scanner.
            So i don't think i can connect it to the connector in the trunk.
            But today i was paying attention when and how it begins:
            With Cold engine RPM is higher and steering is lighter,when engine gets warm RPM goes down and the steering is a little bit heavier.
            But i must confess that 100 miles ago the computer was reset because i changed the battery.
            I saw that on my scanner that the LONGTERMFUELTRIM 1 and 2 were both 0,0.
            What kind of scanner do you have?
            the Netherlands
            MGM 95 LS HPP
            141000 KM.

Comment

I have a Rotunda Superstar II Tester for OBD 1. for OBD2 i've got an Actron, but at work i use an IDS (integrated diagnostic system, basically the old WDS software on a new laptop)

Works very well

Long Term fuel trim around 0 is not bad actually, assuming that Short term is averaging out to about 0 as well. That means that your engine is running pretty good.

as far as your powersteering problem, there's an actuator, steering wheel sensor (senses speed of rotation) and VSS. without going through the diagnostics for the EVO module, it's hard to tell.

I will pm you the tests.
              95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

Thanks Seneeb for your information. By the way, i have airsuspension.
                Can i only do the test with a Startester?
                If there was something wrong with the sensors; why no codes from the PCM?
                Last edited by mgm95; 05-06-2006, 02:56 PM.
                the Netherlands
                MGM 95 LS HPP
                141000 KM.

Comment

The EVO apparently kicked the bucket on my 93 and is operating on the higest effort setting. My guess is the EVO valve has a mechanical fault, and the PCM is commanding it to operate properly hense no fault codes. I have a EEC IV car so chances of codes for the EVO are less.
                  2004 Marauder M79 90K miles Jmod!! 14.85 @95.63
                  2004 Crown Vic LX 135K Silver Birch Light flint leather FMX1 04 P-71 PCM swap 04 P-71 Airbox and Zip tube "$100 MZT" 01 F-250 70 MM TB 21mm swaybar wood steering wheel BH headlight relay

Comment

Originally posted by mgm95
                    Thanks Seneeb for your information. By the way, i have airsuspension.
                    Can i only do the test with a Startester?
                    If there was something wrong with the sensors; why no codes from the PCM?
                    No problem, I'll look at the difference in the procedure for air suspension, i'm not sure if there is a difference or not.

I think you can do it with a generic tester as long as it has the push button switch.

The reason there are no codes from the PCM is because the EVO has it's own control module that does not have a diagnostic link between it and the PCM. It has its own seperate diagnostics that must be accessed by the Data Link Connector coming from the EVO module. In this case, that connecter is located in the Right side of the luggage compartment (trunk).
                    95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

Originally posted by seneeb
                      The reason there are no codes from the PCM is because the EVO has it's own control module that does not have a diagnostic link between it and the PCM. It has its own seperate diagnostics that must be accessed by the Data Link Connector coming from the EVO module. In this case, that connecter is located in the Right side of the luggage compartment (trunk).

after looking it up, on your vehicle I'm wrong on that. What I said above is for vehicles without air suspension. Those with air suspension do use the pcm.

So as to why there is no code, The PCM is not seeing a problem with the EVO Actuator, so it does not know to throw a code. That does not mean that there is not a potential issue with it, just that the PCM does not see it.

That's the problem with the pre OBD2 stuff, it's much more difficult to diagnose
                      95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

I thought 95's were the first year of OBDII on panthers?
                        2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

It looks like from an engine control standpoint it was. But it looks like not all of the control modules for non-engine/emission systems were integrated into the communications network
                          95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

Oh. I didn't know.
                            2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

now you do! spread the knowledge young mang, spread it far and wide!
                              95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

Working...
                              X