Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The hillbilly SUV is riding high at last!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The hillbilly SUV is riding high at last!

I posted some mock up pics a while back, but here is the real deal. I parked it next to my other wagon to give an idea of the height difference.

I may go 1/2" to 1" shorter on the front tires just so I can get a little better turning radius but for now it works just fine.
    It still handles surprisingly well, but considering it has new shocks, sway bar links and bushings it probably makes sense, that handling doesn't feel much different.

It now clears parking stops with ease, and I am goin to drive it across salt river (only about 8" deep at the crossing) later. I'll get a few pics just for fun... if I can get anyone else to ride with me long enough to take them. LOL!

P.S. when you install a spring lift, make sure the spring seats completely. I missed one and it popped the rest of the way down into the lift while going around a curve at 50mph. It didn't effect handling or move the car much at all. I however nearly ruined a perfectly good pair of underwear, when I heard this loud "SPROING!!!" up front and felt the steering wheel and floor vibrate for a second or two.
    Last edited by Blaze86Vic; 05-06-2006, 09:16 PM.
    Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
    AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
    Open/Lock/Ratio #
    -----------------------
    G / H / 2.26
    B / C / 2.47
    8 / M / 2.73
    7 / - / 3.07
    Y / Z / 3.08
    4 / D / 3.42
    F / R / 3.45
    5 / E / 3.27
    6 / W / 3.73
    2 / K / 3.55
    A / - / 3.63
    J / - / 3.85

Nice!!!
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

damn man that thing is sitting high and mighty!

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
      My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

I'd like to do that with a wagon and install a front axle while I'm at it.
        2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
        1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
        1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

Freshmeat, that would be a lot of work.

After fooling around with the front suspension for many more hours than I would like to think about. I would suggest getting a matching set of front and rear axles off of a 4x4 with leaf springs.

You would need to completely disassemble all the front suspension, and grind the mounting brackets off that go to the lower control arm. The pumpkin on the front axle would make contact with the crossmember under the oil pan if you werent very careful. The car would have to sit pretty high and or the crossmember would have to be clearanced. Then there is the issue of steering, brakes, and shock mounts. Not to mention a transfer case and axles.
          I am not saying it is impossible but it would be a LOT of work.

The rear would require some fabrication, but would be a piece of cake compared to the front.

IMHO it would be simpler to set the wagon on a truck frame that already has a divorced transfer case, shafts and axles. Sure, you might have to shorten it, a bit but since it would be welded onto the car's existing frame anyway, it would definately be plenty strong.
          if you go this route, your only concerns would be how to weld everything together, brakes, and steering.

The only drawback would be the extra weight. It would be a bit heavy for any serious off roading, but it would definately be mega fun!
          Last edited by GoodSamaritan; 05-06-2006, 07:58 PM.

Axle codes
          Open/Lock/Ratio #
          -----------------------
          G / H / 2.26
          B / C / 2.47
          8 / M / 2.73
          7 / - / 3.07
          Y / Z / 3.08
          4 / D / 3.42
          F / R / 3.45
          5 / E / 3.27
          6 / W / 3.73
          2 / K / 3.55
          A / - / 3.63
          J / - / 3.85

Comment

Looks good! You have a purpose to have it that high. Those fags with the 24's that jack up cars to fit them under them should be shot.
            2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

Samaritan- I'm aware of the work involved... I've helped build 4x4 vehicles before, including researching/examining solid front axle swaps onto Explorers and Expeditions, which requires basically the same work.
              2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.

Comment

lookin good bryan

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Thanks guys!

FM, sounds like you are all set. Except for time and money that is.

Axle codes
                  Open/Lock/Ratio #
                  -----------------------
                  G / H / 2.26
                  B / C / 2.47
                  8 / M / 2.73
                  7 / - / 3.07
                  Y / Z / 3.08
                  4 / D / 3.42
                  F / R / 3.45
                  5 / E / 3.27
                  6 / W / 3.73
                  2 / K / 3.55
                  A / - / 3.63
                  J / - / 3.85

Comment

Samaritan- you're right. It's gonna be a LOT of work, but I'm looking forward to it. I actually plan to ditch the primary crossmember for a hand-built piece I've been trying to design for Jeep 302 swaps.

To be honest with you, the challenge is why I want to do it. Wouldn't be very practical, but hey- it'd be a blast to drive to the trials and whatnot. Still gotta get my wagon fixed, get this Mustang going, swap the engine from the wagon to the Mustang, build the new engine for the wagon, add a :mumble: to that engine, build another new engine for the wagon...

It might be a while.

Comment

I like it! Though, for some odd reason, the silver car looks much wider now compared to the other one.
                      Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Now Im gonna have to buy me some of those. Looks good. Damn good.
                        1989 Grand Marquis LS
                        flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

mmmmmmmmm tall
                          Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                          Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Evil LTD
                            I like it! Though, for some odd reason, the silver car looks much wider now compared to the other one.
                            I think it has to do with the angle of the shot. I had to back around another vehicle so I had the blue one parked at an angle. It just so happens that when I snapped the shot, it was dead on with the blue one and at an angle to the silver one.

Axle codes
                            Open/Lock/Ratio #
                            -----------------------
                            G / H / 2.26
                            B / C / 2.47
                            8 / M / 2.73
                            7 / - / 3.07
                            Y / Z / 3.08
                            4 / D / 3.42
                            F / R / 3.45
                            5 / E / 3.27
                            6 / W / 3.73
                            2 / K / 3.55
                            A / - / 3.63
                            J / - / 3.85

Comment

What are you using to get the extra height, those poly spring spacer things?

When I did the front suspension on my car, one of the springs slammed home as I was jacking the lower control arm up to get the spindle re-attached. That bang scared the crap out of me, so I know what you mean about making sure they're seated fully lol.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X