Hot rotor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot rotor

Started my car this morning and took it for a short drive(about 3 miles) to blow off all the tree crap that had fallen on my car overnight. Then I stopped at a manual car wash. I started spraying on tire/rim cleaner and when I got to the left rear tire, I could hear a hissing noise everytime the cleaner hit the rotor. There wasn't a hint of hissing when I sprayed the other tires/rims. That rotor was REAL hot.

Now I know the first thought is a bad caliper. But could it be something more sinister, such as an axle bearing or parking brake sticking?? This caliper is about 4 months old. The moron shop I took it to for some work(long story) replaced that one, which he said was sticking, but not the right side one. He also did some parking brake work, replacing the shoes and hardware so he had the axle shafts pulled out for access.
    1995 Grand Marquis LS, digi dash, loaded
    124,000 miles

Mods:99 PI steering gear, harsh rear IAS shocks, front KYB gas adjusts, HPP rims with Bridgestone Potenza G009's, Walker dual exhaust with direct fit Magnaflow cats

My brothers Taurus' wheel was hot to the touch and it was a sticking caliper. I think you could tell by jacking up the rearend and spinning the wheel. It should spin freely. Maybe he didn't replace the slider pins. I replaced the rear calipers on my 92GM without replacing the pins, bad idea, I had one sticking after about 2 months.

Comment

Yeah, Pull the pins, clean them and lubricate them and see what happens. Make sure the pads aren't down to metal and be sure the rotor isn't damaged. If you aren't sure whether its parking brake or rear caliper, pull the rear caliper and give it a spin. If there is still a lot of drag, its probably the e-brake shoes. If thats the case, take it back to where it was done and complain. There really isn't much reason to ever replace those parking brake shoes. They're pretty seldom used to slow the car down, and don't exactly wear out from holding it still.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
        Yeah, Pull the pins, clean them and lubricate them and see what happens. Make sure the pads aren't down to metal and be sure the rotor isn't damaged. If you aren't sure whether its parking brake or rear caliper, pull the rear caliper and give it a spin. If there is still a lot of drag, its probably the e-brake shoes. If thats the case, take it back to where it was done and complain. There really isn't much reason to ever replace those parking brake shoes. They're pretty seldom used to slow the car down, and don't exactly wear out from holding it still.
        Isn't there going to be alot of drag anyways since they are drive wheels? I thought it might be kinda hard to tell but I shall try that.

My e-brake shoes were destroyed because the cable was shot and it was sticking just enough to cause brake shoe contact inside of the rotor/drum and wear down over time.

I hope its not the caliper itself or the e-brake. Just about everything this guy touched, he screwed up and I had to keep taking it back. I really don't want him touching it again. It sucks moving to a new town because you don't know anybody and don't know where the good shops are(not to mention not having a garage to work on it myself anymore).

I'll take er all apart and lube up the pins and see what happens. Thanks!
        124,000 miles

Mods:99 PI steering gear, harsh rear IAS shocks, front KYB gas adjusts, HPP rims with Bridgestone Potenza G009's, Walker dual exhaust with direct fit Magnaflow cats

Comment

yeah, i gotta do the same tomy older caliper so i dont repeat the fire episode again
          jay--1983 towncar, 302v8 cfi, dual straight pipes w/resonators ,edelbrock motor goodies, custom interior, full custom stereo system, full rebuilt trunk audio setup, custom paint...more to come......

Comment

It will drag somewhat since its a drive wheel, but you'll be able to hear it scraping or something if the caliper is hanging. If its abnormally hard to turn with the trans in neutral, something is wrong.

I'd also hit those pins on a wire wheel to make sure they're good and clean.

Also sounds like you need to find a different shop
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
              Also sounds like you need to find a different shop
              I was aware of that the first time I had to take it back to him(and when I saw the outrageous prices he charged for parts).

Don't have access to a wire wheel. This will be done in the apartment parking lot. :nonono: If they're shitty and rusted, then I'll just get new ones.
              124,000 miles

Comment

most of the braking of a vehicle is done by the front brakes where the momentunm is transferred. that is why cars dip forward and lose control when the fronts lock up. if the rears stopped like the fronts you would lock those up and have the fronts for control. but it doesnt work that way. i would definately look into the pins and than check what is hanging it up. where are you located and i might be able to locate a good shop if i know af any. i know that tires plus is a nation wide company that does work like that if you dont wanna take it back to the guy that screwed up your ride. thats why i am glad i can do all my own repairs.
                Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

Working...
                X