Painting chrome parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painting chrome parts

I want to minimize the "shiny chrome" around the windows.

What's the best way to prep the chrome for paint? Should I use Flat or Gloss Black paint?

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
    5.4L swap coming soon.

sand it, sand it, sand it some more, about 400 grt or finer, prime it, 2 coats, then paint, semi gloss is about right for the factory trim on my windows, so id go with that, about 2 -3 coats
    jay--1983 towncar, 302v8 cfi, dual straight pipes w/resonators ,edelbrock motor goodies, custom interior, full custom stereo system, full rebuilt trunk audio setup, custom paint...more to come......

Comment

Yep what he said. Make sure after you sand it you wash it was Dawn or some degreaser so the primer sticks good.
      2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

I don't know how they're attached, but those pieces can come off. P72s do not have those pieces on the car at all. That might be a less messy alternative. Let me try to find a sideshot of my Vic.

Edit:

This is not my Vic, but you get the idea.
        Last edited by Paul_; 08-26-2009, 06:30 PM.
        Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Holy cow, I like that green CV. I should do the strip of trim on the doors like that on my CV.

Comment

thoes chrome peases are just glued on with butal tape the same stuff used to seal windshields on older cars. to paint them i'd use 600 grit paper wet. makeing sure to knock all the shine. you thould use self etch primer or zink on all bare metal befor priming. doing this will guarante that you wont have any paint peelling.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

I took the ones off my doors, not even glued on - just two bumps on each piece tha act kinda like springs and hold the aluminum cromed rails by pressing against the steel door. Removing them is like 5 minute job, and that's with being careful to not scratch the paint of the door itself under the rails.

Comment

I rather paint them.

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Working...
                  X