Running like shit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running like shit

For about the past year i have had an ellusive misfire, it will creep up every few months for a few days then go away. Normally with the A/C on, i guess the additional load on the motor was hurting it. While cruising it will start to jerk forward and back. It is not tranny shudder, i have had fluid out of the tranny 3 times in 30,000 miles, 2 pan drops and one drained converter. all three times the fluid was in near great shape. The car has a slight stumble at idle.

After i giot the car at about 90,000 miles i replaced the original wires with some cheap wires and replaced the plugs, after the misfire re-appeared i put the original wires back on, that helped out a bit. a few thousand miles ago i replaced the plugs again, about 20,000 miles on the plugs but due to the waste spark ignition f had the equivelent of 40,000 on copper plugs. this helped for a while, yesterday i drove to Bradenton (about 80 miles round trip all interstate) car ran fine.

After i get back in town turn the car off for about an hour driving along t about 40-55 car starts bucking again, does not matter if it is in 3rd, 4th, barely off idle or with the pedel down, still bucking.

For the hell of it i tested the cheapo wires, 6 of the wires had about 7.5-9.5 kOhms of resistance, 1 had around 11 and the eighth one had about 20kOhm. So im thinking that the original wires have far surpassed their usefull life and the cheapo wires went to shit reletivly fast. so Now im going to buy a set of Taylor wires.
    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

I put a set of Belkin wires and two new coil packs on my 93 and it made a MASSIVE difference. I had put some Bosch single platinums in several moths before but it started to run crappy and studder. That 93 ran better than my 01 also started to shift 200% better after the new wires and coils

l I finally got a set of 8 brand new COP's for $107.50 now the 01 is buttah.
    2004 Marauder M79 90K miles Jmod!! 14.85 @95.63
    2004 Crown Vic LX 135K Silver Birch Light flint leather FMX1 04 P-71 PCM swap 04 P-71 Airbox and Zip tube "$100 MZT" 01 F-250 70 MM TB 21mm swaybar wood steering wheel BH headlight relay

Comment

Just replaced the wires with a set of Bosch wires. Have not driven it yet, but it seems to idle smoother.
      http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
      http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

4.6 motors eat wires bad, and cheapies just don't hold together.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I could use better wires, but I'll wait till I get the 01 engine. I think I'll throw on some msd coil packs as well.
          Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Taylor "409" are the buttah!!!!
            2008 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Bone Stock

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

Comment

Just some idea from my experiances. IMHO
              Make sure there is "NO" water, condensation, or moisture in the plug boot, plug hole, or on the plug its self. This goes for anti-freeze sludge too. These engines do not like water. If you have changed the thremostat, coolant may have gotten in the plug hole or holes. Take a look.

The coil packs is another touchy subject. Cracks under the packs can cause confusion and headache.

As for the plug wires. Almost any set you can buy is going to be a good set from the coilpack terminal to the plug, but they lack the portion covering the coilpack terminal. Before you buy...check out Borg/Warner super mag cores. Go to an O'Reilly's and request them. Take a look at how the terminal will be completly covered. This is a big thumbs up to these coil packs. Cross fire is native to these things between the terminals. All the other companys are about the same with how they hook to the teminal. Like the factory ones, they have a little plastic clip to hold them on to the coilpack terminal. You will shell out $85.00, but will be rewarded.
              As for the Taylors, (shakin my head, and fist) don't get me started. Maybe a good wire for the main stream 5.0, 5.8, 350's where they pass through headers, but poor design for us modulars. Yes, a very good wire and company, but I have had no luck.

I hope this helps. I've shared the same headaches.
              Do it with a 5spd!

Comment

Coil packs can get weak like COP's do even though they fire, you can get the same studder under load

I got a pair of these

WELLS COIL - IGNITION for a 1993 FORD CROWN VICTORIA

Unit Price: $43.99
                Core Value*: $0.00
                Part No.: C924

AZ does not list the Double Silicone wires I got some 18 months ago. Mine had the same clips for the coil pack connections the other crappy wires had. Most likley the Duralast brand would be equal

DURALAST WIRESET for a 1993 FORD CROWN VICTORIA

Unit Price: $54.99
                Part No.: 4947
                Weight: 2.85 lbs.
                Warranty: LLT

Teh boch is a few bucks more still have the LLT warranty so you should be fine
                BOSCH WIRESET for a 1993 FORD CROWN VICTORIA

Unit Price: $67.99
                Part No.: 09725
                Weight: 2.95 lbs.
                Warranty: LLT

I don't know for sure which was my problem as I changed both together. But with my COP problems I know the boots were perfect and still had misfire studder and changing all 8 made it run like buttah
                2004 Marauder M79 90K miles Jmod!! 14.85 @95.63
                2004 Crown Vic LX 135K Silver Birch Light flint leather FMX1 04 P-71 PCM swap 04 P-71 Airbox and Zip tube "$100 MZT" 01 F-250 70 MM TB 21mm swaybar wood steering wheel BH headlight relay

Comment

Working...
                X