6x9 speaker idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6x9 speaker idea

Anybody ever try using 6x9s instead of subwoofers? My one friend had an idea to keep the two pre-cut 6x9s running off the headunit, then cut and mount four more in the same back panel running off a seperate amp.

It seems like a decent idea because I only have the option of buying cheap subs for this car if I want more bass. I'm in philly and someone will destroy my trunk lock to steal them guaranteed. It also doesn't make sense to spend $300 for an alarm system for a $900 car either.

Lost a headunit and a set of speakers in two different cars alone and I never had subs in any of them.
    Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
    2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:
    Father's 1994 Ford Crown Victoria - Stock, 45,000 miles.
    Sold in 2007 - 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Grandpa Special" 2 door.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2128327

I would think haveing six 6x9's in your rear deck would leave you more likely to get broken into... also there are bass levels that the 6x9's will never be able to reproduce.
    You can easily get decent subs for the price of 4 more 6x9's.
    You could even try getting used ones on Ebay... Ive seen 10 and 12 inch infinities with minor cosmetic damage go for 5 bucks... My friends decided to get some and he wound up with two 12's Infinities that sound good as hell, just a little ugly.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Pete, find me the link to some of these...

Teh rover needs some sound motivation :evil:
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP*
        I would think haveing six 6x9's in your rear deck would leave you more likely to get broken into... also there are bass levels that the 6x9's will never be able to reproduce.
        You can easily get decent subs for the price of 4 more 6x9's.
        You could even try getting used ones on Ebay... Ive seen 10 and 12 inch infinities with minor cosmetic damage go for 5 bucks... My friends decided to get some and he wound up with two 12's Infinities that sound good as hell, just a little ugly.
        Damm, I was hoping they would be powerful enough running off an amp. I was thinking of tinting the windows, but it will probably still attract alot of attention with 6 6x9s rattling the car. When I was driving the car today I realized a setup like that would crack the back glass eventually or rattle too much to sound good.

A beat looking sub box sounds like a good idea actually with some ebay subs, I'll have to look for some.
        Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
        2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:
        Father's 1994 Ford Crown Victoria - Stock, 45,000 miles.
        Sold in 2007 - 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Grandpa Special" 2 door.
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2128327

Comment

6X9s can be run off an amp just fine. All my speakers are run off of one 4 channel amp. I have 2 6X9s in the back, and 2 6-1/2" component speakers up front. My head unit doesn't power anything. It sounds great, no I'm no thumping the neighbors, but I can rattle my car. And it's 98% of the time able to produce more bass than I desire for the song. I do have a few songs that were designed for some <30htz output speakers, which would require a sub to produce.

Comment

Why don't you get 6x9 subs? http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=264-837

Comment

I actually may, as I plan to relocate my spare tire to a virticaly mounted position on the front wall of the main trunk space. Then I will have room for a second amp. and two of those 6X9s facing the front through the back seat.

Comment

I would use those instead of your 6x9's, Blaze. I doubt they'll have enough output to play in the trunk.
                Last edited by jasonh; 05-09-2006, 06:37 PM.

Comment

I wont give up my current 6X9s, they actually put out pretty damn good even down into the low 40htz range. Even though the graph that came with it shows it dropping out at 50htz.Any subs that I may get will be enclosed in a ported box, even if I get 6X9s. Also, bass is less of a direct sound....or how ever you word that, it is less effected by abstructions compared to higher frequencies.

Comment

Can't talk you out of it eh? You really don't need them, but its your car. I wouldn't get those TB's if you plan to put them in the trunk. How about freeair of the rear deck. I think you could fit an 8 or two up there as long as you don't mind cutting holes.

Anything below 400Hz is non directional but you will notice pathlength differences, meaning speakers farther away will sound farther away. The trick with subbass in a car is to get rid of the rattles, then you won't be able to localize where the sound is coming from. Easier said then done unfortuately.

Comment

Well, I have no interest in the level of bass that most people want. I have riden in cars with a single 8" sub and it's way too much. I know a billion people are going to say "no it's not", but I go for the real sound. I am not trying to duplicate being beside a concert speaker. I want sound that sounds as real as if you are sitting next to the guitar. Plus, my neck starts killing me within 3-5 seconds of being around heavy bass (even when I drive past them).

I already have neck pains with some of my songs with my current speakers. Which if you did not know, are not by any means mid or low quality. I'm onlt interested in being able to produce 30htz range sound, not at enourmous levels.
                      Last edited by Blaze86Vic; 05-10-2006, 04:32 PM.

Comment

I also have no interest in bass levels that you can hear for miles. Most people buy subs so they can be heard by every car at the stop light, but thats how they tune it. It doesn't have to be like that. I wish you lived near me, i'd show you. I bet you wouldn't bellieve me I had a 10" sub in my car, most people don't untill I turn it off. It all has to do with matching the levels of each speaker...but whatever I can sit here and type all day and without being able to show you what I mean.

Comment

I undestand what you mean, but I can push a pair of 6X9s to put out the level of bass I want. But honestly, it's pretty mute anyways, as I will likely not do any more stereo mods. I have good enough for me, and can make myself go def. More interested in performance than carying more speakers around.

Comment

All that really matters is that youre hapy with it

I see we've stolen this thread though. :oops:

Comment

lol That's alright, I'm admin, can't fuss if admin steals it.

Comment

Working...
                              X