shift kit - educate me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shift kit - educate me

Alright, I'm confused. What is included in a shift kit? Is this where there is a change of gearing in the transmission? What would I need if I wanted to build up the AOD on the '88 GM?

Im not positive on whats included in a shift kit, but I can tell you it wont change the gearing. It only changes how the transmission shifts, it will have faster shifts with less slippage.
    -Matt
    1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

All shit kits include are springs and vavle pieces. That replace or augment current springs or valves in the transmissions valve body. All these things only modify, when and how it shifts. IE, higher RPM shifts, and firmer....with the extreme being chirping tires on shifts.

Comment

So, I could toss a shift kit into the current trans (which has 170K miles on it) and get the car to move quicker? Is there a kit to change the gearing inside during a rebuild? For some reason I thought that's what a shift kit was. Guess I was wrong.

Edit: Could I have been thinking of a wide-ratio transmission kit?
        Last edited by monterey1962; 05-10-2006, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Yeah, you were thinking of a wide ratio trans. A shift kit just applies the fluid to the tranny faster and harder. Some involve as few things as just a modified separator plate and check balls, while others include new valves, springs, and accumulators all together.
          Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Check the 5.0/5.8L tech area, I just added a link to the Tanny Information Collection thread. There are complete kits and individual parts available to do anything you want with that AOD.

Comment

Great link. Thanks.

Comment

I've heard that shift kits don't work good in Panthers, the "J" mod is the way to improve things.
                http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/index.html#

Silver Frost 02 Grand Marquis GS, 3.73 Trac-Loc,
                Dual Exhaust w/ FRPP Megs, MM Airbox & 80mm MAF, SCT XCallibrator 2 from BOC,CVPI Rear Facia,
                Pro Guard, Edelbrock IAS Shocks,Addco Sway bars

Comment

Several people have installed Shift kits, including me, in their AOD's they work fine.
                  Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                  Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

He's talking about 4R70W's, tho...
                    '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                    '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Ahhhhh
                      Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                      Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

oh you mean the snap your neck in the turd mod?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania
                          oh you mean the snap your neck in the turd mod?
                          That would be it.

Gotta love that 4R70W
                          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Working...
                          X