4.5 inch back spacing good for my car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4.5 inch back spacing good for my car

looking to get some 17 by 8s and wondering if 4.5 inches of backspacing is good enough
    sigpic
    1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

4" back spacing for 8" rims .... 5" for 10s. 4.5s might get you to close to inner fender wells.
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

with some tires anyway. The fronts might be the worst problem with the tires hitting the ball joint end of the upper control arm. My 15 X 10s with 5 inch offset an 295 50s hit there. It clears the lower arm so 3" or less back spacing but then they stick out the wheel well.

Bottom line 8 with 4" back spacing front or rear alllow the widest tires 10s on the rear at 5" back spacing biggest on the rear and not have the tire stick out. With 10s on the rear and 295 50 section width is the max so look for 18 inch tires no bigger or wider in any spec.

Comment

srry i just want to know if 4.5 is to much for 8inc i ll probly run 8 inch tires or 9 but i wan t to know it will hit
        sigpic
        1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

will these 17x8s fit http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...tegoryId=36662
          sigpic

Comment

sounds like 4" is the most you want for 8" wheels
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

They would be right on the edge of fitting or not at all without 1/4 to 1/2 inch spacers dependinng on tire size. You have to be worried about section width not tread width. I told you above what will work with 8 or 9 inch tread width with most tires. I would have to know the specs of the tires you are going to use first.

Comment

the tires i have are 225 55 17
                sigpic

Comment

What brand and model tire?

Comment

goodyear eagle ls
                    sigpic

Comment

width wise they would fit. My 275 50 x 15s are 5.6 inches from mounting face to tire side wall. The 225 x 55 x 17s are 5.1. The dia will get you though. My front tires 275s are 25.9 and they hit the plastic inner fender at the rear. The 225s you stated are 26.8 dia. So my best guess is no they will hit in sharper turns and more so in deflection and loaded.

I now run 225 x 50 15s on the front of mine 8' rims 4 inch back spacing their dia is 24" This also gives you better geometry. Dia of the tire is very important on the front to large or too small of a diameter can screw up all the geometry. On the rear they should work but will give you taller gearing.

Comment

so should i get like 1/2 inch spacers
                        or 1/4
                        sigpic

Comment

This sucks. I'm going to need 1" spacers all the way around when I go with my new wheels... I might as well go with longer circle track studs as well....
                          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I have 3-3/4" BS on my wheels. My front wheels have what seem to be plenty of room. I think with a 4-1/2"BS and a 9" wheel, it would work. But I would find a guiny pig first and test it.

Comment

I also have the 3.75" backspacing on my wheels at the moment. they work fine...
                              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Working...
                              X