Earl Shieb vs Maaco vs Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earl Shieb vs Maaco vs Me

which one to go with anyone every use Maaco 500 dollar package and or Ealr Shieb 600 and me basicly learn as i go but i got buddy that can paint teach me ropes but paint is expensive
    sigpic
    1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

If you go some place like maco, try and do the masking yourself. Earl Shieb did a terrible overspray job on Nate's Vic.
    '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
    '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Ya if you go with one of those places do all the body work yourself cause they won't do it for that price and most likely it will be shitty work. Then mask it off yourself. It is all about the prep work.
      2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

I have a $250.00 dollar paint job on my 1991 and about a $350.00 one on my '84... (Due to the extra body work I had them do..) Anyway... I prepped both cars myself, which included...

Stripping the cars of as much of the chrome and trim as possible...
        taking the grilles out
        taking the headlight trim pieces out, the tailights out, after I got to the shop, then wrapped them up in a plastic garbage bag and placed it in the trunk... (In case of overspray)
        took all the windshield and back window trim off, and as much of the other window trim as I could..
        Then I wet sanded the entire car with 800 grit wet and dry.... especially concentraiting on the edges of the windows, doors, and hood areas.... (That is usaually where paint will flake off first if you don't)
        Maaco is probably alot better than Earl Scheibs... my first car was done by them back in the mid 70's... you could hit the car with a straight stream out of the hose at our house and the paint would come off.... made it easy to strip the paint when i painted it black, and added the flames! Both of my cars were done here locally at a place called "Fact-o-Bake" sort of like Maaco... it is a Gulf Coast chain here in the south east... Thing about all of these places is, they can shoot paint really great... they just don't have alot of time to prep the car... They hit it with a DA sander, wipe it down, spray some sealer on it... then in the paint booth for the color coat....
        You can see the results on both cars....
        Tom...

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
        Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

I agree with tom mang....

i worked at an Econo-Paint, which is a similar chain.

The more work you do, the less the "scuff and squit" masters have to do.

I have seen some of the stuff used to prep cars there, makes me sick :nonono:
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

so basiclly if i do the prep and they do the paint it will come out good know can i g he whole wagon painted lik for 300 with door jambs and ever thing and look good or wat price shouldi be looking a to spend to mak it look good
            sigpic
            1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

I heard it costs extra if they shoot the door jambs. I could be wrong but that is what I heard.
              2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

Yes, usually it's $100 per door jamb.
                '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Door jams and under the hood and trunk are extra. I will third the prep work. Do it all yourself, that is what drives a huge part of the cost up. I have not yet decided on painting it myself, or having someone else do it, but either way I am doing everything prep wise.

Comment

i would choose Maaco over Ealr Shieb. Ealr Shieb makes there own paint and its junk. Maaco uses dupont paint which is much better quality.

Comment

maaco is ok if you sand and scuff and mask on your own, unbolt and remove every piece you dont want painted that you can possibly remove and make sure you got most fo the dirt and shit out from the cowl area, wheelwells, up behind the rear bumper, etc, so it wont get into your paint, as they dont care about that shit, and buy a couple cand of black under coating in a spray can for the wheelwells after its painted, cause i can almost guarentee overspray there, i painted my own car outside in a field behind my house, from 10 feet awat it looks good, close up its orange peeled and a little grit in it here and there, but for 100 bucks i cant complain, someday itll get a real paintjob, for now this works
                      jay--1983 towncar, 302v8 cfi, dual straight pipes w/resonators ,edelbrock motor goodies, custom interior, full custom stereo system, full rebuilt trunk audio setup, custom paint...more to come......

Comment

Around here... the cost for door jambs and under the trunk and hood is $50.00 per door/hood.trunk.... So your talking about $300.00 extra for all of those areas... and if you do not take the door panels off, they usually end up getting over spray on them, when they paint the door jambs.... It is easier, and cheaper to do your own.... just get a good quality rattle can paint, and match it to your color, then tape and paint it yourself, but be sure and prep it like the rest of the car, sand, clean, and wipe down with a good enamel reducer, or something of that nature to be sure it is clean before you spray it.... Then tape up EVERYTHING including the door opening, so you don't have overspray inside the car on the seats etc..... Then go slow and do the paint in a couple of coats.... so it doesn't run....

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
                        Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

EARLS IS SHITTY LOL
                          The Best
                          Past and Present Any Questions...................

Comment

lol
                            Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                            Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X