Bad Ball Joint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Ball Joint?

I think the upper ball joint on the driveside is on its way out. I have some extra wear on the inside edge of my tire and the car occasionally pulls to the right. Is that a correct diagnosis?
    -Matt
    1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Could be, and more than likely all the bushings are shot also.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Jack the car up under the control arm and try to rock the tire. If its got play, have a look at the assorted suspension joints to see where the movement is coming from.

+1 on the bushings. Most of our cars have dead rubber parts by now. Yours is newer than many but its still 15 years old.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Might as well just redo the whole front end, it needs it
        Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
        Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

I recently rebuilt the front end on my '91... it was worth it! I used to have a thumping noise under the drivers floor board area when I turned left.... it was the loose upper ball joint thumping.... only thing I didn't redo was the upper bushings... the original police solid bushings were still like brand new... no play at all... thanks the the Sheriff's office doing excellent maint. on it..... Only issue I have now is the front brakes rattle when I go over bumps... got to buy the rubber bushings etc for the front calipers... they must be worn out..... if you lightly put pressure on the brake pedal, it stops rattling.... Tom...

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
          Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

Comment

Tom, you're lucky they didn't need to be replaced. Last I heard those police upper shaft kits were like hen's teeth to locate and not really cheap either. If they're kept lubricated its pretty much impossible for them to wear out, but apparently not every place greased them regularly.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
            X