My 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS coupe: "Ride Engineered"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS coupe: "Ride Engineered"

Here's some pics I took today, more will come as I fix her up over the summer. The car is a little dirty and it just rained, but she still looks pretty good. I should have took some pics earlier before it was backed into by a 93 ford explorer in a bank parking lot, which is why it has a dent in the front fender.

I bought the coupe last July for $900 from an old guy who lived up the street and actually never saw the car in my life before then. I didn't know much about boxes then or even knew a Grand Marquis coupe existed, she was only going to be a temporary car until I could get the Talon I owned at the time back on the road. When I started driving her though, I realized the "error of my ways" and sold the talon immediately after I got it to run again.

He used it to drive back and forth to his florida home, which is where the car stayed from september to may every year since he bought it new in 1987. It needed only new plugs and an AC recharge when I bought it, so I didn't have a problem handing down the $900 bones for it. He loved the car alot so it was maintained very well and even bought a new 2005 Grand Marquis LS.

I'll keep updating with new pics as I'm saving up to do some work to it. Plans for the summer include new shocks and springs, front end alignment, new carpeting in the interior, shorty headers, ho intake and tb, engine bay painting and cleaning, front seats repaired, and a complete sound system.
    Attached Files
    Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
    2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:
    Father's 1994 Ford Crown Victoria - Stock, 45,000 miles.
    Sold in 2007 - 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Grandpa Special" 2 door.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2128327

Thats one mint mercury. Nice find
    -Matt
    1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

WOW!!!! I LOVE that color. I like how you have the raw pipes coming straight out the back. Very nice!
      2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

Gotta love the grandpa special.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ohhhh it's got leather and everything. Bring it to me.
          '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
          '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

nice
            Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
            Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Oh damn
              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Wait! How can you say its ride engineered without a picture of the badge on the dash! lol
                -Matt
                1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

very nice... needs some turbines!!!!!!!!!

Im jonzing hard to find a 2door near me to put mine on. ARRRGGGG
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the compliments, I've cleaned the car up alot since then and added some new pics. Still looks like the "grandpa's special" but I'm slowly bringing up to the 21st century including perfomance.

Recently I throughly cleaned the vinyl top carefully with bathroom cleaner then coated the entire top with mink oil, which you use to treat and shine leather.These are the most recent pics

Can you tell that the trunk had faded paint? I color-sanded, buffed lightly with polishing compound and used 5 coats of carbarna wax (overkill works) to get it to look like that. You can't notice anything wrong with the paint unless you look close and the trunk lid was white in several spots. Also spent alot of time polishing all the chrome trim and both bumpers, which had some oxidation when I bought it.
                    Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
                    2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:

Comment

I also cleaned up the leather seats and the door panels using mink oil and I'm working on repairing the driver's seat as well. I polished the dash up using a mix of armorall and glass wipes.

The tripminder is not original and the cd player is a Pioneer Deh3700mp with an IPOD interface. The external IPOD interface is hidden in the glove box, you can see the cord in the pics above that plug right into the IPOD. It allows me to control the IPOD through my headunit. The center console is from pepboys and I couldn't throw the summit stickers away.

There are also 180 watt Pioneer 6.5 inch speakers in the doors, cheap tweeters in place of the dash speakers, and a pair of hidden 230watt pioneer 6x9s in the rear deck. In the trunk resides two 12 inch Lightning Audio subs powered by an Audiobahn 2 channel 400watt amplifier. Not a "block shaker" but plenty of bass with more than enough if I need it. :evil:

Associated Panthers:

Comment

Here are my favorite pics, the led's and "lopo power" under the hood.

The upper intake is not stock, its an HO upper with a polished 60mm TB, 63mm egr spacer, and a Ford racing 1 inch intake spacer you can't see. Its an easy upgrade and a nice little boost in performance. I also get better gas mileage vs. the stock intake, even knocked down 28.2 mpg at 50-55mpg before. I have aftermarket duals with flowmaster 40s that you don't see, gives it a nice tone and rumble. I have a mustang h-pipe and shorty headers I will be installing next year also. :evil:

The interior lights have all been replaced with very bright blue leds, except the map lights (need to read maps). The trunk light, the hood light, and the glovebox light are all blue leds. The dash lights are all blue leds, which are an easy and popular upgrade. The amp even glows blue at night with internal leds. What you can't see is the prestige alarm system I have, which has a blue led mounted in the dash also.

Here are some more pics, the quality isn't that good though with my digital camara.

Plans for the future for my car include maybe a different paintjob (gunmetal grey/black vinyl top) if the factory one doesn't hold up, better cylinder heads (ported e7s) or a "secret motor build", track lock, wide ratio kit for the AOD, and new wheels. She's been a great daily driver so far so I plan to hold onto her for awhile.
                        Last edited by 87mefull; 08-26-2006, 11:55 PM.

Associated Panthers:

Comment

sweet car mang looks awesome live the interior

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                          302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                          k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Looks good man. That really is a nice car.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

looks good mang!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                              X