Getting really old, rock hard, ground in gum out of carpet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting really old, rock hard, ground in gum out of carpet

Anyone have any suggestions? I got some of this ground into the carpet in the right rear passenger floor. It's pretty much the only place in teh carpet that has this crap.
    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

I hear its good to freez it, scrape away as much as possible, and trim it away the bst you can...

Rubbing alcohol werks too...
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

If it's old and hard, would need to heat it up some how, hair dryer maybe.
      2000 Grand Marquis LS
      2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
      1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
      Mercury Owners Group member
      Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

Get teh hair clippers, trim that shit off. :lol:
        '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
        '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

If it's really rock-hard, I'd try chopping it up with a chisel, then maybe trimming out the pieces that were still stuck to fibers. Not sure what solvent (if any) would dissolve gum without bleaching or eating a hole in the carpet. Of course, putting a wet cloth over the gum and letting it sit might soften it too.
          -Never pet a burning dog.

Comment

Online ideas

Try egg white that's said to remove chewing gum from anything. Rub the egg white on the gum and it will remove it from cloth, hair or hands without leaving a spot.
            # Chewing gum may be removed from different materials by soaking them in turpentine.

To remove gum from your car's carpet, use Murphy's Oil Soap - the light oil base reduces the stickiness of the gum and allows you to wash away the problem. Make a sudsy bowl with two cups of warm water and a tablespoon of soap. Wash the area with a cloth dipped in the mixture. Then rinse with clear water.
            2000 Grand Marquis LS
            2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
            1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
            1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
            Mercury Owners Group member
            Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

That gums out by now but for future reference wd40 dissolves gum, citrus oil cleaner is my new favorite all purpose cleaner.

1991 Crown Victoria LTD, Puff the Magik Dragon

Comment

Naw, it's still in there lol

I keep forgetting to do it
                Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

The thing about citrus cleaner is its pretty safe to use on almost any surface, while car seat fabric is wicked durable. I have personally used wd40 to get gum out of upholstery, it worked very well. if I had to do it again Id try citrus cleaner first: cause wd40 is very oily (so is citrus cleaner but its natural citrus oil) so after the gum is out you have the grease spot to deal with, citrus cleaner smells alot better than wd40 too.

Comment

Originally posted by 91 LTD
                    while car seat fabric is wicked durable. .
                    you obviously are not the owner of a 2001 crown vic with the velour fabric

Comment

Originally posted by DANARCHY
                      you obviously are not the owner of a 2001 crown vic with the velour fabric
                      Enlighten me, I would think your car (nice btw, interceptor?) would have pretty burly fabric.
                      Last edited by 91 LTD; 06-03-2006, 11:48 AM.

Comment

its a base model with the handling and performance package, came with pretty skimpy velour fabric. i did happen across a jumped hence wrecked vic that came inrto a junkyard and talked them into 75 bucks for the front and rear seats, its a much tougher tweed fabric, and it gives the car a new look, and i still have the old seats in my 2nd bedroom so i could switch back if i wanted. but the fabric fromt he cvpi is alot thicker and tougher, so i'll stick with it for a while

Comment

My back seat looks new, don't think anyone ever sat back there while she was chp. Though my interior could really use the "serial killer special" aka a good shampooing/ steam cleaning.

Comment

Working...
                          X