How fucked my tranny really is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How fucked my tranny really is

Ok, today I did some 0-60 runs to see what I would do. As I have said many many times before how my tranny lets the engine wrap up really high but it won't throw you back in your seat at WOT. Then if I go 3/4 throttle it will throw you back in your seat and actually feels faster then at WOT. So today I tested this theory. I was at a dead stop and WOT on it, un impressive like usual then I did from a dead stop, 3/4 throttle. Low and behold the 3/4 throttle was 2 seconds FASTER then at WOT. I did it several times and came out the same. I bet it would be a whole 3-4 seconds faster if I could floor it from a dead stop and have the torque I have with 3/4 throttle. Then she will run like she is suppose to.

I checked the fluid once I got home and it is perfect not a black speck anywhere. I guess my question is could it possibly be the torque converter that is fucking up and not hooking like it should? Sometimes I think I feel a slip but it almost feels like the torque converter shutter too.

What should I do, replace everything or the torque converter?
    2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

The 2000 was a dog year. The table for the 2000 P71 would give more 'umph' at just before WOT than at WOT. The best course of action would be to get the PCM reflashed (or replace it with a '99 P71 PCM) or get a chip/tuner.

Comment

make sure the tps is working properly......computer takes the tps signal to control shifts

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

That has nada to do with tranny...all engine there. That is the common effect of a oversized carb also...

Check the TPS..
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Really? How do I check the TPS?

Comment

Ok I checked my haynes manual on it and I need a voltmeter. I don't have one to check it so should I take a shot in the dark and just buy one? They are only like $30.

Comment

did you touch the xcal2?

2005 Legacy GT *13.5 @ 96MPH*
              2003 Mercury Marauder *Totaled*

Comment

It has done this since I first got the car. So it isn't related to the Xcal2.

Comment

Xcal 2 has access to the tranny as well as datalog feature

Comment

Ya I know. I screwed with it alot and nothing was different except the shift firmness and shift points.

Comment

Originally posted by zwack88
                      Really? How do I check the TPS?
                      Go to Blue Oval Chips web site, under Tech Articles he has a very good one on setting the TPS.

Silver Frost 02 Grand Marquis GS, 3.73 Trac-Loc,
                      Dual Exhaust w/ FRPP Megs, MM Airbox & 80mm MAF, SCT XCallibrator 2 from BOC,CVPI Rear Facia,
                      Pro Guard, Edelbrock IAS Shocks,Addco Sway bars

Comment

Well I replaced it. It is alittle better. It still winds up but it throws you back alittle more. The old one I looked at was not a motorcraft part so it was replaced at one point. I don't know maybe this car is cursed to never be right.

Comment

Originally posted by zwack88
                          Well I replaced it. It is alittle better. It still winds up but it throws you back alittle more. The old one I looked at was not a motorcraft part so it was replaced at one point. I don't know maybe this car is cursed to never be right.
                          *SHHHHH* FoMoCo products have feelings. Everytime I drive one the other falls apart from neglect somehow...

Comment

I hear that....

Comment

That's damn true.

Comment

Working...
                              X