tailshaft housing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tailshaft housing question

is the tailshaft housing on a thunderbird the same as a cv/gm? i knjow the tc's have longer tailshaft housings than the cv/gm but would a t-bird have the same as a vic? reason i'm asking is that the only junkyard around that i find worth dealing with has 3 *aod* cars. the one i was hoping for was a 92 gm until i looked at the door sticker and the car was manufactured after the cutoff date. in other words it wasn't the bastard-block 4.6. the other one which i know won't fit is in a 95 pi that was burned a bit. the other one is an older t-bird late 80's-early 90's vintage with a 3.8. it's my understanding that the 3.8 shares the same bolt pattern as a 5.0. i know the tranny will be a tad weaker than one out of a 5.0, but its a tranny. and if the tailshaft housings are different, can i easily change em? none of my repair manuals state on how to remove the housing, if thats at all possible. thanks guys!
    Save a seal, club a liberal.

thunderbird/cougar tailshaft should be the same as the cv gm......you can also use a mustang aod.
    just remember if the car was floor shift, you need to swap the linkages
    scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

scott, thanks for the help and for reminding me about the linkages,lol. knowing me, i prob would of forgotten :coocoo:

Comment

no prob man........easier to swap the linkages with the tranny out of the car btw.......another question? have you thought of getting the trans rebuilt? it might be worth a drive down here depending on price
        scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

I dont know if these pics help at all, but I'm bored and dont care, lol

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
          '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
          '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

pix of parts are always useful imo, whether they are what you need or not.

scott, justin thanks for the help. now i know if i come across a 3.8 t-bird the tranny will fit. on the darker side of things, at the jy the guy dropped the pan to drain the tranny and there was an assload of metal shavings with the fluid. prob explains why the car was there, because the bod looked fair and the motor was clean lookin for the age. i'll prob be driving the suburban for a while because i can slowly feel my tranny right now is dying big time

Comment

hey for gas money i could meet u halfway......sure i can find u a good aod
              scott

Comment

Keep in mind the V6 AOD is slightly different.. it uses one less direct and forward clutch, because of less torque from the V6, the shift pattern is less agressive too.
                2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

i figured the v6 aod was slightly weaker. i was basically gonna use it to get me thru the winter as all the other cv's were newer and the bolt pattern wouldn't even match. but i'm glad i didn't get this one, especially seeing metal chunks in the pan,lol

i might take scott up on his offer. it'll have to wait until i can get some vacation time tho. scott, i'll let ya know! maybe i'll get a chance to ride in his town car

Comment

His offer is definitely worth it His car ain't too bad either. Shift nice for as many miles as it has on the tranny

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                    '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                    '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Working...
                    X