Removing Vinyl Top...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing Vinyl Top...

I know this has been discussed a lot, but I didn't find all the answers I'm lookin for.

After the Vinyl is off, what is the best way to get rid of the left over crap? *Edit* Was reading Epi's thread on CVN and he used Aircraft Stripper and he said it works well, any thing work better?

How does one remove the rear window trim without screwing it up?

How bad is the seam on the C-pillar? I really don't care about it, unless it's really shitty looking.
    Last edited by boXman; 05-21-2006, 05:16 AM.
    '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
    '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

That's AFTER about two hours of smoothing and putty.

Good luck.
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

So... if you have no paint/body work experience, is it worth attempting for a small project? My vinyl up top is cracking pretty bad.
      -Matt
      1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

itll take awhile but its worth it
        jay--1983 towncar, 302v8 cfi, dual straight pipes w/resonators ,edelbrock motor goodies, custom interior, full custom stereo system, full rebuilt trunk audio setup, custom paint...more to come......

Comment

to get the trim out, stick a flat head screwdriver in there a pry it up. it will take some force, and make a loud POP when the clip pulls free.
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

ok i have a 82 mark 6 4 door and im wanting to remove the vinal top but im not sure if the trim pieces will still fit, if they dont is there a way i can get some that do fit and where can i get them? my top is crackin bad too

Comment

Its the rear window trim that will be hard. If your rear window isn't full size, there is a big nasty fiberglass thing around the glass and the car will look utterly idiotic without the top on it. Unless you happen to have this fairly rare setup, just get the vinyl replaced.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

ok thanks for the info...btw does anyone know about what that would cost just for a black top removed and replaced, im lookin at goin black body and black vinal top havent done much to the interior yet so its gona be redone most likly in black to though

Comment

Looking at several hundred for a new top job.
                  '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                  '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

When I finally get off my ass and get my tudor down here, I plan to do a write up on removal and seam filling.

Comment

I was quoted 450 bucks to replace my top...that's prolly what I'll do...
                      'cuz going slicktop would cost me more.
                      sigpic
                      1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by mrlandyacht
                        '

No it wouldnt, dummy!
                        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

i just turned my 1980 mark 6 2door into a slick top, it dont look too bad at the back so long u tint ur windows and all the trim peieces go back in. im havin a company make a rear window molding made up. i like it much better without the top, it doesent fit the style of the car.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                          1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                          2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by mrlandyacht
                            No more than 200 in the midwest for a full top including materials.

Comment

marquisman, have any pictures you can post up?
                              -Matt
                              1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

Working...
                              X