Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brake/turnsignal issues...

here is the issue.

when i push on the brake and have the turn signal on, they dont work unless i have my foot off the brake. when i have my foot off the brake, and the signal is on, the 3rd brake light flashes with the signal. when i washed the car, they worked fine till the car dried up. another thing, the brake lights are dim except for the 3rd light. any ideas that can help me out since i cant drive like this forever.
    Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

change the flasher unit and check the ground wires in the trunk, mine did the same general thing cause the flasher was bad and i had a broken ground wire
    jay--1983 towncar, 302v8 cfi, dual straight pipes w/resonators ,edelbrock motor goodies, custom interior, full custom stereo system, full rebuilt trunk audio setup, custom paint...more to come......

Comment

where are the ground wires located? just thought i would ask so that i can save some time during the fix, if you know.

Comment

Ditto that - the grounds should be somewhere bolted to the body of the trunk. If its not that you may need a signal switch... they do funny things when they short out
        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

like i said...when the turn signals are on the 3rd brake light flashes also. the regular brake lights on both sides are dim and are barely visible. the only time they dont wanna flash at all when i have the turn signal on is when my foot is on the brake. but when i washed the car and drove it, it worked fine till it dried up. my guess is in the trunk but not sure.

Comment

I had a broken piece of metal in the blinker switch causing funny things to happen, like i would blow fuses when i would brake and turn left. I just put a different blinker switch in and it worked fine.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
            1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
            1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

solved the problem...it was some loose wiring and everything is working fine now. i pushed the wires all the way into there plugs wherever i found a plug in the trunk. weird how it made the rear window light flash the way it did.

Comment

Not really, it was probably pulling ground for the third light through one of the other bulbs. Electricals do strange things with poor grounding.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                X