front suspension idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

front suspension idea

Here's my problem: my current front tires are stock 215/70-15 size, which have a lot of sidewall flex under heavy cornering - the edges of the thread are already pretty bald, and I don't run my tires underinflated. I won't be able to afford any bigger wheels any time soon, so I'm stuck with the 15" tires. My front shocks still work fine, but the springs are really tired. So taking all that into account, and after riding in turbo2256b's MGM with small front wheels and seeing SVT87's Crown Vic after he installed the new front springs, I came up with that:

1. get a pair of new front springs, something stiff that will give the front end a lift to proper height,
    2. get new tires, size 225/50-15, they have 24" diameter compared to the stock 27"
    3. throw some plyurethane bushings at the control arms
    4. get the car re-aligned

What do you guys think of that? Also what springs will I need, I found some TRW HD coils at Advance rated at 439lb/in, how stiff were the police springs?

50 series is too small... stick with 60. 235.60/15 will work great.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

save money......big brake swap, poly bushings, and 16" wheels
      u can do the 96-97 brakes with 15" wheels too......the rotor is like 11.5" and a single piston caliper..........then get some h rated 225/70/15 tires (the higher the speed rating of the tire, the stiffer the sidewall)

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I used to have a 63 caddy. My grandfather would run dual 90s on it. They would wear out in a year. I put 36 dollar unico 6 ply 8 ply rated hiway truck tires on it stock size. Did that ever improve handling. Just ask the power and light guys that jumped off the power polls into the river as I came around a corner in FLA on Indian River Drive about 80 MPH slowed down to 15 and waved to them as I passed.
        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Turbo2256b, the only true truck tire I found on TireRack.com in Panther-stock size is the Continental Vanco-8, speed rated as "R", but load is 109 (2271lb), inflates to 65psi at max load. Price is $90 each, and the review people all use it on vans, campers and stuff like that - guess that's the tire I need?

Scott, 225/70 will be a little too tall for me - springs need to be replaced no matter what, so running tires as tall as this will only make my front end way high.

Comment

Here's something else - last fall I weighted the car with the A/C completely removed, front end was like 2500lb, so that's 1250lb per spring. I now have A/C, so I add some 50lb (approximation) to the total front axle weight - that gives me 1275lb load per spring. Now according to Advance the load height for springs for front Panther springs is 11.5" (pulled data for different vehicles from the '80s, got different free heights and spring rates, but always the same load height, so assume that's how much it's supposed to be). The guys at Advance have a catalog of springs that are not associated with any particular vehicle, but that can be custom ordered, prices are comparable to the stock replacement ones too. So basically here's what I came up with as requirements for my new springs:
            - outside diameter = 5.5"
            - load height = 11.5"
            - free height = 11.5" + 1275lb / spring rate
            - one flat end, one open coil
            Does that seem right to you guys? The biggest question here is what spring rate do I need, currently the front end is really soft, while the rear rides like a truck, rear springs are variable rate but Advance's catalog list them as about 225 or 230 lb/in IIRC. What front springs do you think will match the rear, something like 800lb/in and up? I've never ridden in a car with different than stock springs, so I really have no clue about that, any suggestions are appreciated

Comment

I have some PI front springs. Ran them for about 2 years with some springs close to your rear ones. Best would be to come by again and will measure up some stuff. Your rear spring height installed and mounted shock length. Should have somme tires around we can mount for checcking clearances etc.

Comment

A 225/60/15 is a nice compromise. Find a cheap set of old ranger/explorer aluminum wheels. They are 15x7...I ran a set on my old vic with 225/60/15's and it did great.

439 isn't very stiff. The Newer PI's are close to 800. I had HD Moogs on my old 87 and it was still way to soft in the front. Get PI's or some 1000lb/in street stock springs.
                Turbo2256b and most of us are running or want springs around 1000lb/in. (just read any od turbo's posts...)
                Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

yea 225/60/15's look decent on a towny.......the red towny has a set of firehawks in that size

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Firehawks are nice, I love the ones I have in the rear - never lose traction, H-rated too

Turbo, thanks for the offer to help, I appreciate it. I have stuff planned for part of the weekend (helping out a buddy with his boat-house), but I'll give you a call when I figure out exactly what I'm doing.

Comment

Go with a set of 165/15s. :lol: Kiding, slthough they do ride nice on the highway.
                      http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                      http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan D
                        Firehawks are nice, I love the ones I have in the rear - never lose traction, H-rated too

Turbo, thanks for the offer to help, I appreciate it. I have stuff planned for part of the weekend (helping out a buddy with his boat-house), but I'll give you a call when I figure out exactly what I'm doing.

Tried to work on my boat today every time I uncovered the engine hatch it started to rain. It needs new cables to the tab and drive indicators. The lengths printed on the cables are to roughed up to read now I have to pull them and measure or find the numbers on another part of the cable.

Comment

Sounds like fun....
                          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

The fun is going up and down an 8' ladder to get in and out of the thing. Crawling under the dash in the sun (lost 20lbs last year) cables about 40 each x 4. Also have to replace 15' of water inlet hose = to a cars radiator hose at 8.00 a foot. Did it to the other engine last year. Hope thats all it needs this year. Going to fill the tanks once this year probably drift a lot. Not shure how big the tankss are yet. might be 150 gals each.

Comment

I did shift and throttle cables on my boat for both engines 2 years ago. 3 weeks later one of the throttle cables went. Had to flip the throttle and shift cables to get through the rest of the vacation and change it back out again once we got home. Right now I've got the generator out painting it up and taking care of rust and other bs issues. Hopefully soon that can go back in. Have to finish cleaning the engine bay out this weekend, pop the drives to service the U joints, the boots, and whatever else needs to be dealt with. I also have to find out where one of the engines is puking oil. I think its from the oil filter adapter thingy, but I can't reach it. Might have to yank the motor. Bastards jammed them in there so tight that I can't get to anything.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X