good alternator to upgrade to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good alternator to upgrade to

I know my lincoln has had 3 alternators and 1 caught on fire, lol. This is all before I got the car though. What is a good alternator to upgrade while I'm doing my electric fan upgrade?
    1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

3G alternator from a 94-95 Mustang they are also found in other ford models
    The Best
    Past and Present Any Questions...................

Comment

yup, what he said. Also, pull apart that harness from the alternator to the fender, and see if those wires aren't melted. Lots of them fry under the split loom tube.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i'm gonna start trashing all factory altenator harnesses........most are in horrid shape

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I might remove mine too and just replace that fuse block with a 150 amp breaker. It would also clean up the wiring a little bit, which I sure do need. The spaghetti looks pretty crappy.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Bolt in a 3G alternator.

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
            Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
            5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

That 3G alternator can also be found in both 3.0 and 3.8 Turuses, but they both come in small and large frame setup depending on year of production. Look for a small-frame 3G alternator, it's recognizable by having a very short ear for the top bolt (as opposed to the large-frame alternator that has the hole for that bolt about an inch further away from the case).

Comment

I got my 3G out of a Windstar van.

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
                5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by MeLikeyStripperChicks View Post
                  That 3G alternator can also be found in both 3.0 and 3.8 Turuses, but they both come in small and large frame setup depending on year of production. Look for a small-frame 3G alternator, it's recognizable by having a very short ear for the top bolt (as opposed to the large-frame alternator that has the hole for that bolt about an inch further away from the case).
                  Any Taurus with that engine? how about a '93 Taurus???

Comment

is the 3g compatible with the alternator plugs on some panthers. i noticed the alternator on the waggin i sold Zack had a different type of alternator. it had a nut that held a wire on, whereas mine are the simple plugs. just asking, since i am in need of upgrading my alternator.
                    Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Comment

93 Taurus you say? hhmmmm
                      YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

yeah a '93 with a 3.0

Comment

Run 4 gauge or bigger directly to the battery from the alternator. Make sure if you are to do this you upgrade the ground on your battery to frame and ground from chassis to engine. I upgraded mine to 1/0, I have top/side post battery and I use both terminals.

Welding Supply ---
                          4 gauge or bigger from there, you can even get red cable for the positive and black for the ground if you would like. Get some ring terminals from there too. You can crimp the ring terminals with a vice, or you can spend another $7 and get a swedge crimping tool from that site. Cutting thick ass cable, use a hacksaw unless you got some good cable cutters. Which will make it look nice and clean for the wiring to the alt. Get some split loom, or a heat shield sleeve for the wire to protect it. Get some heat shrink too, it's cheap and if you have a hair dryer or heat gun you can shrink it. You can crimp the cable with a vice.

JC Whitney ---
                          If you need a cheap & nice looking battery terminal to connect the new cable to.

--List of Needed Items--
                          1. [10-15ft] 4AWG or Larger
                          2. [x6]Ring Terminals
                          3. [x1]Battery Terminal
                          4. Heat Shrink Tubing
                          5. Split loom or something to protect the wire.
                          6. Fuse Holder & Fuse

If you get the 3G Alternator your factory cables will not work to well with the alternator being 130amps. The factory cables, I believe [at least in my '81] were 8 gauge which is almost dangerous to use with that high of amperage. That is why a cable upgrade is needed.

Comment

Thanks very much. I'll keep that in mind when I do do the upgrade. When you say to upgrade the grounds, do you mean to re-do the grounds?

Comment

I would ground to the exact same places, just clean the areas off with a wire brush or something of that sort. You can run new cable and get rid of your old, or you can leave your existing ground. Current will take the path of least resistance for the ground. I got rid of my ground cables so I could see how long I had to make the new ones. I just ran a new one to the alt for the positive.

Comment

Working...
                              X